Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Good of just fancy turn raises?

Here are a few turn raises I made in 10/20 games in AC recently. Some I was wondering if they were too fancy or possibly too transparent.

1) I raise a limper w/ AdKd button coldcalls, and blind call.

The flop is T xx w/one diamond. All check to me and I checked and the button bet and all folded to me i just called.

The turn was a 7d and I check raised, button says you didn't and calls (and mutters something about a set).

The river was small diamond , I bet and was called.

Does my flop check make my turn play unreasonable? I almost always bet the flop when I flop something in this situation. Should I be checking more flops to balance this or just bet (here the flop bet is just asking to be checkraised (I think), and I could use the free card should I get it. Or should be bet on the rationale that if you are planning to call you are often better off betting?

2) I raise a limper w/ AA, 2 cold call including a player which was running over the table on the button. So 4 or so see the flop.

The flop is 9 high rainbow I bet and only the button calls.

The turn was a Q and I checkraised. He called apparently w/reluctance.

The river was a blank. I bet and he folded.

3) I raised a limper w/ AcKc, and the blinds come along.

The flop is Q 33 w/ one club. The BB (who respects my play) checkraised and only i called.

The turn was a small club and BB bet I raised, and he folded.

All comments appreciated.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Good of just fancy turn raises?

Hand 1 - the "xx" in Txx matters... do you remember? I don't always lead out with AK there in that situation but it really depends on who cold-called your preflop raise, what your image is, is your opponent aware, etc.

Hand 2 - I like this c/r, especially as your representing aforementioned AK, but c/r flop is also good if you can trap 2-3 more bets from EP's. If you check to button on flop he's almost guaranteed to lead out, no? You might get 1-2 flat callers who you then raise. If you lead out in bad relative position, and button is going to "look you up" the others can get away on the flop.

Hand 3 - 3-bet the flop, check turn is another option to get to free river

HAnd 3
Old 06-24-2007, 08:57 PM

1)The flop was T 6 3 or something in the first. My image is tight and maybe not very creative.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)The flop was T 6 3 or something in the first. My image is tight and maybe not very creative.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 handed always bet this dry flop, IMO - I would probably bet this flop 4 handed as well. You rate to have the best hand a lot (specially in AC). You want to win right now.

As played it is not great but OK. Almost no one is throwing away a pair so you have no fold equity against most players in AC. You will pretty much have to improve to win. Good chance you have 15 outs or 12 outs or maybe only 9 outs. Of course you could also be ahead of the better who may be betting diamonds as well-- this last fact makes the play OK. Personally I just bet the turn.

Hand 3 is player dependent. Could he have folded a medium PP to your raise or AK himself? If he is the type to do that (we have nits and callers in AC - mostly callers thank god) it is a good play. Against self styled "good" players - read nits - the flop action smells like a 55 or something like that.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 AM

Move up. You're too good to be wasting your talents at limits this low.

-eric
Old 06-25-2007, 01:19 PM

1) I agree with you here that your turn c/r just isn't believable. If button is a decent hand-reader, than he should know that you would never check the flop 4-handed with a made hand (and you shouldn't be - I think you are giving up way too much value if you balance your play like that). If the turn was an overcard (especially if you had AQs and the turn was a K), then I would like the c/r a lot more.

2) I love this check-raise - I really need to do this more often. Even if it ends up being EV neutral on this particular hand, it's great for your meta-game because so often you will be betting the flop with draws or overs and then giving up on the turn. If other players know you are capable of check-raising the turn with a made hand, then you will get more free cards when you want them (I stole this concept straight out of HPFAP). I suppose this play would be better if the Q was on the flop and the turn was an undercard, but I still like it.

3) I like this one too. BB probably doesn't have much of anything here (most players would slowplay a 3, and certainly wouldn't raise out the field with a check-raise). You may have the best hand here, or you may get him to lay down a small PP. If he calls the turn raise (meaning he likely has a Q), you can take a free showdown UI with your showdownable hand.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:00 PM

hand 2- well played
hand 3- again, well played against many to most opponents
hand 1- usually bet the flop. your move can work but usually only against taggy players capable of dropping a pair(because of how they view your play) or weak tight types.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:48 PM

I don't like #2 at all. It's a big pot and he may well have just been taking one off with overs, in which case he may have paired up and you have a decent chance of getting a 3-bet in, or he has some kind of straight draw and you'd rather not give out a free card. If he value-bets aggressively however you can consider check-raising the river.

#1 I would not check this flop but having done so I guess it's *probably* worth the shot to try and represent a big hand and hope that he's a nit or a bad hand-reader. Another nice aspect to #1 is that your hand does have some showdown value and generally speaking this line gets you do showdown, meaning that if you don't get a fold right away you can check-fold the river and be pretty sure that you're beat if he bets. But I wouldn't check the flop.

#3 is fine.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like #2 at all. It's a big pot and he may well have just been taking one off with overs, in which case he may have paired up and you have a decent chance of getting a 3-bet in, or he has some kind of straight draw and you'd rather not give out a free card. If he value-bets aggressively however you can consider check-raising the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose instead that the flop was Q high rainbow (with no real straight draws), and the turn was the 9 - would you like the turn check-raise then?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose instead that the flop was Q high rainbow (with no real straight draws), and the turn was the 9 - would you like the turn check-raise then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps occasionally for mixing but I still prefer to bet out and try and get a 3-bet in.