Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: National Parks and Camping (advice for me + general discussion)

[ QUOTE ]
Don't backpack alone, it's just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound pleasant, why don't you come with me?

There are a lot of people who hike the entire Appalachian Trail by themselves. It adds to the adventure. Anyway, I would go with other people, but all my friends are either not into that type of thing or can't take the time off from work. Since this might be my last opportunity to do something like this, I decided to go solo.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:05 PM

OK my words were a bit harsh, but I think that backpacking alone is a very unnecessary risk. And yes, I have done a TON of backpacking.

There are just so many things that can happen to you even if you are careful - saying "don't get hurt" is impossible. I've seen a number of accidents on the trail that were basically unavoidable by being any more careful. For example, I was backpacking in a group and one guy started complaining about his heel being sore. He thought it was his boot rubbing - a couple miles later we hear a sound like a gun shot and this guy is rolling on the ground screaming with his Achilles tendon rolled up behind his knee.

But if it makes it more of an adventure for you and is worth the added risk, go for it. I don't think it's worth it. I actually prefer going with someone anyway.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM

I think it's a matter of what level of risk you are willing to accept. It also makes a difference how wild the area where you are backpacking is. A lot of places in Colorado, if you get hurt, there will probably be somebody along within an hour or two. If you're off-trail, or 50 miles from the trailhead, you might not see anybody else for a week, a month, or a year. You are right that you can't guarantee you won't get hurt. If you are in a really wild area, and break a leg, there is a good chance you will die. If somebody skids across the centerline on the road to the trailhead and hits your car head on there is a good chance you will die, too. I'm willing to accept both risks, and think the probability is low enough that I can live with them. If i can coordinate schedules with friends and such, I'll go with friends, but If I want to go at a time or to a place that nobody else is interested, I'm damn sure not going to let that stop me. If you go alone, letting somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back is essential. OTOH, if you're on a two week trip and get injured the second day, it may not help you much.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with fly rod or not? if not Yosemite is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, Yosemite is what got me hooked on fly fishing. I had dabbled with it, but always relied on spinning gear for "real" fishing. I was fishing some river in Yosemite with spinning gear and saw some feeding trout in calm water out in the open. Those trout were about as likely to eat my spinner as they were to light up a cigar. I decided right then and there that I'd dedicate to learning how to catch trout like those with flies.

We have to swap fishing stories sometime! Most years I take a trip and meet up with a group of guys in Montana or somewhere like that. It's great having some local knowledge without having to hire a guide.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the hell did camping get so expensive? The last 2 campgrounds I stopped at were $20 and $22. This seems way out of line considering that you can get a cheap hotel room for around $40 in a lot of places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't backpack alone, it's just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound pleasant, why don't you come with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Having said that, I've been in some pretty dumb spots while fly fishing alone.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:09 PM

If you haven't been camping since college and don't have a lot of equipment, you should consider car camping. That would simplify your life and if you find a good spot you can have all the fun and adventure you want on day hikes.

There is really no substitute for experience with a knowledgable person when backcountry hiking/camping.

I am spending the next two months in Southern British Columbia. It is absolutely beautiful here. I am sleeping on a river where they are pulling out 5 pound trout. I bike 5 or so miles into the town each day to play poker at a coffeeshop with very high speed internet, then bike back in the evening and plan to do whitewater rafting and other fun activities on the weekend. (and I joined a gym in town for two months so I get hot showers, hot tub, olympic size pool, etc. when desired).
Old 07-26-2007, 12:50 AM

Yea, it is just a level of risk, and up to the individual. And of course you can die in a car wreck or whatever, but that is an unavoidable risk (don't drive, yadda yadda, that's not the point), whereas you can avoid backpacking alone.

But having said that, having a set and detailed intinerary, filed with friends/relatives/rangers, and STICKING TO IT!!!! is a must when going alone.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:46 AM

Just a random shot but in AC world, there would be no beautiful national parks to visit.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:16 AM

All,

Thanks for your concerns for my safety. I'm definitely aware of the risks, but I think there are enough factors in my favor to limit those risks to an acceptable level:
- I will have a GPS and paper maps with me, so that should reduce my chances of getting lost
- There does appear to be some limited cell phone coverage in the areas I'll be hiking. Of course I won't be counting on that, but I'll periodically check my cell phone for coverage, and in case I get injured I might be able to hobble to a place with reception and call for help.
- I'll be doing this trip during a very popular time of year and not going anywhere too remote, so if anything does happen there should be a decent chance of finding help.
- The longest hike I have planned is a 5 day loop of about 30 miles, albeit somewhat mountainous, so I will be at most 15 miles from my car.
- I will let my family know the exact route that I plan on taking
- I'm young and in good shape

Anyway, I've decided to do the Wind River, Wyoming hike that Badger recommended and then hit up Yellowstone. I haven't figured out exactly what I'll be doing in Yellowstone, but I'll probably check out Old Faithful quickly and then do 3-4 days of backcountry hiking there. There's a ton of backcountry trails in Yellowstone, and I'm in the process of mapping out a route. I won't be able to do any fly fishing because I'm a noob and already have enough on my plate, though fly fishing does sound awesome. I've got about 2 weeks for this trip, but unfortunately that only enough to just scratch the surface of what the west has to offer.

If I make it out alive I'll definitely post pics and a trip report. BTW, I'm ending this trip with 3 nights in Vegas, so it'll be fun to experience complete opposite ends of the spectrum in such a short amount of time.