Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you call the push?
Yes 36 46.15%
No 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2007, 06:30 AM

Default Re: roommate dispute - opinions?

[ QUOTE ]
easily B/C's fault, A was just not being an [censored] by returning it early and leaving them hanging for two days. once they agree and A leaves, that [censored] becomes their responsibility.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Why in the world would they think that they should leave it with the land lady? Have they never lived on their own and had cable? Did they think that the land lady also moonlights as a cable company employee?

I have been in this situation 3 times in the last 6 years. B&C were lucky you left it on for two days, but they clearly can't handle any sort of responsibility. Your roomates sound like lazy potheads who have no common sense.

BUT isn't the huge bill a result of not returning the equipment? I thought they will take it all back off when you return the stuff...
Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 AM

Why didn't one of the two rocket scientists just drive the [censored] back to the cable company?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:46 AM

Did they get this out in time?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't one of the two rocket scientists just drive the [censored] back to the cable company?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are lazy and it wasn't in their name, hence 100% their "fault", however the guy who's name it's in should have never put those two in the position to make the mistake. After a year of living together, he should have known what the odds where of the cable company getting that equipment.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why in the world would they think that they should leave it with the land lady? Have they never lived on their own and had cable? Did they think that the land lady also moonlights as a cable company employee?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe its an outlier, but in my experience A is equally guilty of assuming the cable company won't [censored] things up. I think every time I've moved out of a place, I've had to schedule multiple trips for the cable company to get their [censored]. So while I think that B and C should offer to help pay part of the fine, if there is one, and it would have been nice of them to let A know when the cable guy pulled a no call/no show, A should have seen it coming a mile off and shouldn't be surprised in the least.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:01 AM

Def B/Cs fault
Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 AM

It all depends on exactly what was said when person A spoke with B and C here.

In dealing with any fairly important issue, and especially issues that deal with money, you really need to have follow-up conversations to make sure things went smoothly. Even MORE important when it's only your name on the agreement.

Now, if the wording was like this: "B and C, I'm leaving now, but you can use the cable equipment. I'm no longer responsible, so you need to get it back to the cable company." Then B and C are at fault. Unfortunately, it's still in A's name, and will be held accountable.

If the wording was looser, sort of like "B and C, could you return this to the cable company at the end of the month?" A is probably screwed.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:18 AM

A is responsible for the cable unit because his name is on the contract. Having lived with B and C for the duration of the lease, A should have exercised better judgment.

That said, B and C should have handled their side of the arrangement better.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Ugh, it's crap like this that makes me glad I was done with roommates years ago.

I don't really care about the blame game argument, but what annoys me about the roommates was their sheer laziness. You know goddamn well if the equipment was in THEIR name they would have been more proactive than just dropping it off with the landlord. Instead they just half-assed it in the hopes it would sort itself out and hey if it doesn't it's not our problem.