Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Collapse of the American Economy?

Does anyone else notice that the quacks always come out and troll after the US markets take a beating?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 PM

LOL @ social security or medicare collapsing the US economy. Worst case scenario the benefits are scaled back and some old people die earlier than they could have.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
.) Increasing Inflation - I mean real inflation, not the crap the government reports.....

[/ QUOTE ]

what is "real inflation"?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM

DJSHADOW,
[ QUOTE ]

.) Increasing Inflation - I mean real inflation, not the crap the government reports.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share your preferred measure of inflation?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for one "real inflation" is not "ex food and energy" - if energy goes up 50% in 3 yearsthat gets ignored.... that adds a few % to the annual inflation rate IMO.

Second... is consumer goods are adjusted... takethis for example... one year a car costs 10000$ without air bag - next year the same model costs 11000$ but now the airbag is standard - the government agencies that figure inflation would assign lets say a 500$ value to the air bag so instead ofthe price increasing 10% it only "really" went up 5%.... that sort of stuff !!!! (This maybe a stupid example but I hope you see what I mean)
Old 07-25-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for one "real inflation" is not "ex food and energy" - if energy goes up 50% in 3 yearsthat gets ignored.... that adds a few % to the annual inflation rate IMO.

Second... is consumer goods are adjusted... takethis for example... one year a car costs 10000$ without air bag - next year the same model costs 11000$ but now the airbag is standard - the government agencies that figure inflation would assign lets say a 500$ value to the air bag so instead ofthe price increasing 10% it only "really" went up 5%.... that sort of stuff !!!! (This maybe a stupid example but I hope you see what I mean)

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah andthe most important one I forgot.... take how much housing prices have gone up - 100% in 5 years in a lot of areas... the agencies use some sort of rent equivalent BS to adjust for the increase, not the real price increase in a starter home for example.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The government reports food and energy inflation as well. It just gets excluded from the numbers quoted in most newspapers.

As for your second point, improvements in quality would cause inflation to be overstated.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm by no means a seasoned economist, but this sounds pretty reasonable to me. Let's make it something even simpler. One year a package of eggs contains 10 eggs, the next year it contains 12. Should you just use absolute numbers to calculate inflation? I think your method would confuse growth and inflation.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

saying that you should not adjust for improvements of quality is plain stupid.

Why do you think your method is better than the methods of those who are paid to and spend their lives doing this? Do you have any qualifications at all?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your background? have you studied economics? surveys? financial markets? i don't mean to pry but i'd like to know to whom i'm responding.

thanks,
Barron

PS- answer me this: look at the PCE composition and calculation, if your ideal reporting mechanism came into effect, how much greater would the numbers be? and would it really make a big difference?

also, answer me another one: what makes you better at designing something like the PCE than people who spend their lives thinking about it?

finally, what motivation does the BEA, BLS, or FED have to misstate inflation? keeping in mind that at least one of these organizations is independent of administration (and also thinking about the knock-on effect a systematic misstatement would have down the line)?