Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Blowup 1966 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060176/
Golden Palm winner at Canne in '67. British film famous for its ending and a chase scene where they end up at a Yardbirds concert. Stars Vanessa Redgrave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blow Up is another one of my all-time favorite movies.
The ultimate in 60's 'mod'.

The beginning photo-shoot of Blow Up is parodied in Austin Powers when he's doing his funny shoot with Elizabeth Hurley.
I think there are other Austin Powers moments that are inspired by Blow Up. But the photo-shoot is an obvious reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, I think Blow Up has dated very badly. It seems tired and trendy and the end, with the mimes, seems horribly shallow.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:29 AM

Paperback Hero from 1973 with Keir Dullea
Old 02-09-2007, 02:52 AM

The Music of Chance is based on a Paul Auster novel and stars James Spader. The story of a Rounder who gets picked up hitchhiking by a guy whose marriage has just fallen apart. Rounder persuades divorcee to stake him in a juicy game against two old rich guys.

Game not juicy. Rich guys win. Losers can't pay and so winners extract their pound of flesh through manual labour. Great book, great film.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:31 AM

This one is again only obscure by age - but fits the must-see criteria easily. Watched it again tonight and I never tire of the performances of Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM

I also nominate "Festen". I thought of it as soon as I saw the title of the thread and I'm glad others have as well.

The Best Years of our Lives, as someone mentioned, is also wonderful.

So is Barry Lyndon.

(Those two aren't exactly obscure though)

Whoever said "Persona" is a weirdo.

Ryan
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Late Night Shopping
Four young friends have tedious nightjobs and meet every night after work in a cafe. Sean hasn't met his girlfriend in three weeks, Vincent flirts with everybody, Lenny is too afraid to ask a girl at work on a date and Jody can't admit that she shows up at the cafe every night, although she was fired some time ago.

Bad Boy Bubby
Bad Boy Bubby is just that: a bad boy. So bad, in fact, that his mother has kept him locked in their house for his entire thirty years, convincing him that the air outside is poisonous. After a visit from his estranged father, circumstances force Bubby into the waiting world, a place which is just as unusual to him as he is to the world.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:00 AM

You know, I thought of Bad Boy Bubby - but there is no effing way I could say that is a must see.

Whatever you do with it - you will only see it once.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
District B-13 I haven't seen mentioned yet. It's an action movie, french I think. Has some great action/chase scenes, and an interesting enough script.

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie is very very good, and I really don't like action flicks.

You do have to not mind reading subtitles though. Some people I know hate subtitles.

And yes it's French. The actual name of the movie is "Banlieue 13", hence the English title of District B-13. Plus, the main character is the founder of Parkour, which is cool as [censored].
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Blowup 1966 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060176/
Golden Palm winner at Canne in '67. British film famous for its ending and a chase scene where they end up at a Yardbirds concert. Stars Vanessa Redgrave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blow Up is another one of my all-time favorite movies.
The ultimate in 60's 'mod'.

The beginning photo-shoot of Blow Up is parodied in Austin Powers when he's doing his funny shoot with Elizabeth Hurley.
I think there are other Austin Powers moments that are inspired by Blow Up. But the photo-shoot is an obvious reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, I think Blow Up has dated very badly. It seems tired and trendy and the end, with the mimes, seems horribly shallow.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it absolutely has not aged well.
I was thinking about this some more and believe it is not an appropriate mention in this thread because it really shouldn't be considered "must see" which is why I never mentioned it myself in the first place.

I don't recommend it to anyone I know because my hunch is that they wouldn't like it.
it is too weird and dated for most people imo.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Lot of good choices people...bookmarked this thread.

Well, if TsoTsi qualifies for obscure these 2 do too:

Black Orpheus - 1960 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film

Black Orpheus

It is based on the play Orfeu da Conceição by Brazilian poet Vinicius de Moraes, which is an adaptation of the Greek legend of Orpheus and Eurydice, setting it in the modern context of Rio de Janeiro during the Carnival.

This one again might not be obscure (especially not in Quebec) - Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film 2004:

Barbarian Invasions

The plot revolves around the character Rémy's battle with terminal cancer, and his estranged son's efforts, after reluctantly returning from London at the request of Remy's ex-wife Louise, to make his dying father more comfortable in his last days.

Interestingly, its excellent prequel was made in 1986:

Decline of the American Empire