Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Car buying tips

[ QUOTE ]
Go to the Consumer Reports website (I don't have the link in front of me). Pay them $12 (it might have gone up, I last used it in 2004) for a price report on the car you are interested in. It will tell you the actual dealer cost (including holdbacks) on the the car you are looking for. Now decided how much yout time is worth. If you offer them $500 above their cost (that might be less than invoice) they will probably take it. My last car I offered $450 above their cost and the firs dealer turned me down and the second dealer took it. If you have more time you can start at $100 below their cost and float that to each dealer and go to each dealer in your area with a little bit higher offer until you get them to accept it. They will try to tall you about advertising "fees" and such, just say no.

[/ QUOTE ]
IGNORE EVERYBODY ELSE AND DO THIS ^^^ FIRST!

Consumer reports new car pricing service

I have done this multiple times, the last was to purchase a new 06 Accord.
I got the price from the above link, added $150 on it, walked into a dealership, and got a salesman who knew an easy sale when he saw it.

Me: I want that car (loaded) for $xxx. I know this is what you paid (showed him report).
Him: Let me talk to my manager (5 minutes). Deal.

If you go at the end of the month or year, this will be even easier. They want to make those quota bonuses.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've learned that I can do all the research and have everything thought out, but when I get there in person I still suck at negotiating. So I've swallowed my pride.

I have one or two friends who are really good at negotiating who I enlist to work out the actual deal for me on any large purchase. Then I'll buy dinner or a case the beer for our next get together. For some people that might be the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very good tip, Im a lot like u but I have a few friends that can just really good at persuading people and such, maybe I should do as u do [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have one or two friends who are really good at negotiating who I enlist to work out the actual deal for me on any large purchase. Then I'll buy dinner or a case the beer for our next get together. For some people that might be the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I brought such a friend with me once while car shopping. I found a used car I liked, the dealer was asking about $17k.

When she got him down to $14k, I was tickled. I was reaching for the pen to sign.

She wasn't finished with him, though. She was shooting for $12k. When the salesman refused to go lower than $12,200, we pulled the old "Walk out and let them call you back" move.

I was pissed. I wanted to pay $14k, and I certainly didn't want to walk away from $12,200.

The salesman AND the sales manager came outside to chase us down, and the sales manager agreed to $12k if it would get the deal done.

NO WAY I would've even got that car for $14k if I had gone alone.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They will try to tall you about advertising "fees" and such, just say no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been meaning to ask about these.

When they draw up the sales agreement, they add up a column of numbers. The top number is the price of the car. The other numbers are such things as the extended warranty, the options, the tag and title fees, etc.

There's always an "advertising" fee there, usually $100-300. And the number is not written in by the salesman, it is already typed on the form.

Is this number negotiable? Can you draw a line through it, change it to zero, and insist, "I'm not paying that."?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They will try to tall you about advertising "fees" and such, just say no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been meaning to ask about these.

When they draw up the sales agreement, they add up a column of numbers. The top number is the price of the car. The other numbers are such things as the extended warranty, the options, the tag and title fees, etc.

There's always an "advertising" fee there, usually $100-300. And the number is not written in by the salesman, it is already typed on the form.

Is this number negotiable? Can you draw a line through it, change it to zero, and insist, "I'm not paying that."?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I bought a car I told them I wasn't going to pay that. They said they didn't know if they could work around that. They kept me waiting an hour, came back and asked if I would pay it and when I said no they took it off. This was at a dealership that is local to you.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 AM

My personal experience is that going through the internet is close to rock bottom. I hate to negotiate. For those who like to haggle, I'm sure this is incorrect. If you're prone to getting ripped off due to impatience, the 2 or 3 thousand this saves is pretty palatable.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal experience is that going through the internet is close to rock bottom. I hate to negotiate. For those who like to haggle, I'm sure this is incorrect. If you're prone to getting ripped off due to impatience, the 2 or 3 thousand this saves is pretty palatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Internet shopping is great if you are buying new. There is a set manufacturers invoice that all dealers pay. Most sales reps prefer to switch this customer to used so we can make a little money. Used is much harder to price shop.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:11 PM

Find out how much all the extras cost on the car. And I mean everything down to the doorlights. Edmunds.com used to have all that info. Basically, you checked all the stuff you wanted, it totaled it up and then you decide how much over that price you want to go. Which was usually about $400. Also note if there are any dealer kickbacks/incentives as you can also use that to lower the price.

[ QUOTE ]
Next time I'd like to go in and own the son of a bitch who's haggling with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edmunds also used to have a template for what the dealers would ask you and how to respond. Let me tell ya, it worked like a charm. It was almost too easy. They actually acted and reacted exactly how the thing said they would while giving you the counters for their acts. Fun actually, to see the salesperson squirm.(I got to literally see it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) It goes all the way down to the finance guy and what to say to him. Basically, you can really piss him off and he still won't want to blow the deal because then he has to answer to the salesman and salesmanager. My finance guy was exasperated when I got done with him and he tried to use some pretty moronic crap on me(like acting like he was calling the manager and pleading my case about the interest like he was my bud).

My bud that I went in there with was thoroughly entertained.

If I get time, I'll try to find the link to that template. It was a few years ago.

b
Old 11-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Here's a link with some stuff.

link
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go to the Consumer Reports website (I don't have the link in front of me). Pay them $12 (it might have gone up, I last used it in 2004) for a price report on the car you are interested in. It will tell you the actual dealer cost (including holdbacks) on the the car you are looking for. Now decided how much yout time is worth. If you offer them $500 above their cost (that might be less than invoice) they will probably take it. My last car I offered $450 above their cost and the firs dealer turned me down and the second dealer took it. If you have more time you can start at $100 below their cost and float that to each dealer and go to each dealer in your area with a little bit higher offer until you get them to accept it. They will try to tall you about advertising "fees" and such, just say no.

[/ QUOTE ]
IGNORE EVERYBODY ELSE AND DO THIS ^^^ FIRST!

Consumer reports new car pricing service

[/ QUOTE ]

Any difference between the prices on the Consumer Reports service and http://www.edmunds.com/ (which is free)?