Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Default 25NL - Trip queens facing a turn bet/reraise

Heres another hand.
Is it possible to think your ahead on the turn so u can extract the maximum? (play for stacks)
(still no stats villain due to FTP update)

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($26.30)
Hero ($33.50)
BB ($25)
UTG ($35.55)
MP ($20.40)
CO ($13.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.60) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.75</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Turn: ($3.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $9.25</font>, Hero calls $4.75.

River: ($20.10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3.25</font>, Hero calls $3.25.

Final Pot: $26.60
Old 08-07-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: 25NL - Trip queens facing a turn bet/reraise

i like preflop raise. you are beating a wide variety of BB hands. i do bet the flop b/c you are equally unlikely to have a Q. a lead here is is really deceptive. also c raising the min is so weak! ten with his 3 bet i shove on top. i dont understand his tiny bet on the river or your check call. if he hit a 2 outer i think you are jsut beat
Old 08-07-2007, 02:34 PM

Preflop: I like a raise here but I'd go higher. You're definitely a favorite over a random BB hand, so try and get some more in there.

Flop: This would have been a great spot for check-raise. Calling is weak here unless you are setting up for something else, which you aren't based on later play.

Turn: Minraise is weak. I would have lead out with a bet as well.

River: You've failed to lead out on flop and turn, but that's over with - now you need to bet for value. You've shown nothing but weakness as well, and villain’s bet is very tiny -so why just a call here?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:42 PM

Op, the best line when you flop a monster is to do what you always do, bet the flop. I think your line with the sneaky cmr on the turn screams you have a Q, and more importantly, it does very very little to get money into the pot. Villain is nowhere near being comitted when you spring your "trap". Bet $1.3 on the flop, bet $3.5 on the turn and hope he doesn´t believe you.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:45 PM

Stab: why did you play the hand this way? Trying to be tricky? The trickiest thing you can do is lead that flop and go from there.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 PM

Thx for the comments. I guess I'm abit "shellshocked" or w/e u call it from a 2week long downswing / bad luck streak where i've always been behind.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM

Slow playing and trying to get tricky is just inviting your opponents to draw out on you thus creating what seems like a streak of bad luck.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: I like a raise here but I'd go higher. You're definitely a favorite over a random BB hand, so try and get some more in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this, by raising more you are:

1. Increasing the number of times your SB steal has to be successful to be profitable. Suppose you always raised to 4.5 BB to win 1 BB. Breakeven for the street means he folds 77%. Raising 3BB here means breakeven is 66%. Obviously this isn't the only street, but if you can get the street to pay for itself, why not do it? Maybe this isn't a pure steal, but most of your SB raises will be, (right?) so make this look the same.

2. Not changing his fold % much. He's playing almost the same hands he would to any raise anyway, whether 3BB or 4.5.

3. Building a pot OOP. In the SB I'm definitely looking to make this a small pot that I take down now or on the flop with a cbet. The further in we go the bigger his positional advantage is.

4. Putting yourself in a position where you can't call a small raise with good implied odds.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this, by raising more you are:

1. Increasing the number of times your SB steal has to be successful to be profitable. Suppose you always raised to 4.5 BB to win 1 BB. Breakeven for the street means he folds 77%. Raising 3BB here means breakeven is 66%. Obviously this isn't the only street, but if you can get the street to pay for itself, why not do it? Maybe this isn't a pure steal, but most of your SB raises will be, (right?) so make this look the same.

2. Not changing his fold % much. He's playing almost the same hands he would to any raise anyway, whether 3BB or 4.5.

3. Building a pot OOP. In the SB I'm definitely looking to make this a small pot that I take down now or on the flop with a cbet. The further in we go the bigger his positional advantage is.

4. Putting yourself in a position where you can't call a small raise with good implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, excellent post. I'm going to rethink this.

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic.