Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Investment Challenge

Hi all,

I am taking part in an investment challenge between now and 28th September. At the moment there are approx 500 participants, top 20 receive a prize. However I would like to use this to gain a valuable insight into trading rather than taking a huge gamble to begin with.

Starting balance: £10 million,
Max position: 10% (ie £1 million max per stock)
Max trades: 200

Day trading is not allowed.

Which stocks would you recommend to go for? - How much should I diversify my portfolio as I am really looking for some high short-term growth potential.

At the moment I am long with:
- 20,000 CEG
- 35,000 CAF
- 20,000 GOLD
- 1,000 SNP

Please let me know your tips (and reasons behind them - this is a learning experiment after all!) or if you don't like my picks so far.

Also, if there are any fantastic (free) tools available for looking at charts, etc please let me know - the one on the site isn't much good!

Thanks in advance,
Nick

EDIT: Any energy stocks would be especially appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Investment Challenge

[ QUOTE ]
...Day trading is not allowed. ....

[/ QUOTE ]

That leaves me out.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Any energy stocks would be especially appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This leaves me out.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
between now and 28th September

[/ QUOTE ]

Best chance to win is to take a massive shot. It's the reason these "investment" challenges are pure bs. Can you short? Can you use options? Probably not.

Just max out a few positions in highly volatile and speculative stocks. I'd probably pick some really battered mortgage companies, banks and home builders and hope for a Fed/governemental type of bailout which could work in this timeframe. I wouldn't do it for real but it could be a good shot with a contest since we will possibly see some sort of action in your timeframe.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Investment Challenge *DELETED*

Post deleted by PRE
Old 09-03-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
between now and 28th September

[/ QUOTE ]

Best chance to win is to take a massive shot. It's the reason these "investment" challenges are pure bs. Can you short? Can you use options? Probably not.

Just max out a few positions in highly volatile and speculative stocks. I'd probably pick some really battered mortgage companies, banks and home builders and hope for a Fed/governemental type of bailout which could work in this timeframe. I wouldn't do it for real but it could be a good shot with a contest since we will possibly see some sort of action in your timeframe.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're competing against a bunch of people who probably don't have a clue what they're doing and are considering doing the same dumb thing.

A focus investing approach is the most +EV strategy here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? No it's not. You're competing against a bunch of students who probably don't have a clue what they're doing and are considering doing the same dumb thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 500 entries, 20 winners, which means a 4% chance with a 4 week timeframe. 4 WEEKS! Let me repeat that. 4 FRIKKEN WEEKS! And the OP appears to be one of the clueless students. With this timeframe a focused investing approach is a ludicrous strategy in my mind. To win a 4 week lottery the winners will be lucky and will have maximized their chances with a very high risk approach. This is what always wins these things.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:51 AM

mrbaseball: I confused this post with another similar one about a class, hence me referring to students. I agree
Old 09-03-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kinda what I was thinking of, just hoping for a few ideas on which stocks to pick. I know that it is basicaly a big gamble to see who gets the luckiest, but I would like to do it "properly" as much as possible so that I can get the experience. - The prizes aren't significant, if I win then great, if I can get some semi-decent exposure to the market even better!

- Yes you can short.
- You can trade Stocks, Options, Funds, Futures and Bonds.

Do you have any picks that are worth a gamble on?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:33 PM

Don't diversify.