Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

maybe you guys wanna split this 7 ways?
on craigs list: http://bangkok.craigslist.org/rfs/327581240.html

asking about USD $280,000; if approached with cash, could prolly get it down to 250k. would come to about 35k per unit.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:59 PM

you guys should start a new thread this one is ummanagable. KKF earlier yous aid "talking to people on this message board makes mew ant to jump in front of a bus", well just seeing you stupid name, yes you know what stupid name i mean i mean "fish2plus" makes me want to vomit my huge brains out.

how is all of your thai coming along for residents, do you take classes in thailand? let's say someone was going to be there for amonth is it worth taking classes? i don't know many thai people outside of thailand, unlike other languages, spanish, chinese, russian, french, etc. also thai as far as i know doesn't have as many other applications, like liteature etc.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys should start a new thread this one is ummanagable. KKF earlier yous aid "talking to people on this message board makes mew ant to jump in front of a bus", well just seeing you stupid name, yes you know what stupid name i mean i mean "fish2plus" makes me want to vomit my huge brains out.

how is all of your thai coming along for residents, do you take classes in thailand? let's say someone was going to be there for amonth is it worth taking classes? i don't know many thai people outside of thailand, unlike other languages, spanish, chinese, russian, french, etc. also thai as far as i know doesn't have as many other applications, like liteature etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

AUA does classes in Chiang Mai. I did not take them but heard that they were worthwhile. I did books + tapes before I moved there. It was helpful to a degree. The grammar in Thai is quite easy so you can learn quickly by memorizing a lot of vocabulary. But comprehension was a b*tch for me. It is hard for Western ears to pick up the subtleties of the tones. Once I lived there I found a tutor who came to my house weekly for lessons. Do make an effort and you will be rewarded. I knew people who lived there for years and I could speak way better than them. You will get a lot of smiles and respect from people for trying even if you are not perfect. And if you have any aspirations to socialize outside of the farang zones, you should learn it.

Learn stuff that has an application. I focused heavily on food. By the end I could read any menu, order anything I wanted how I wanted it. I could go to any town and know "that is a noodle stall, that is a rice shop, that place specializes in x." It was very rewarding.

I also had a Thai friend who spoke some English but he was pretty insistent that I spoke Thai with him. So I learned a lot of language surrounding making plans (time stuff, directions, etc). Combine this and the food stuff and i figured I could go anywhere and do anything and never feel lost if no one around me could speak English. But it is a another leap altogether to where you can speak abstractly about things. I never got there.

Just noticed you said only staying a month. In that case, just learn how to be polite and maybe how to ask for directions. I wouldn't bother with a class.

KJS
Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 PM

jesus why is this thread so loooooooooooooooong
Old 05-09-2007, 06:58 PM

thanks KJS... with spanish i studied it for a long time in junior high, high school and then travelled a bit and was clueless. the sounds were such a big thing, for example in spanish "kayatey" is how to say shut up, and that's how i would have spelled it a few years ago but now just by sounds i can put the right letters down "callete" the command of the verb callar, stop talking with Te directed at the other person. extremely satisfying, when i hear a song or someone talking and there is a word i don't know there is still only a 1/5 chance (or less) i can spell it correctly but it's getting better and feels great. takes time for the ear to get used to the sounds
Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but now just by sounds i can put the right letters down "callete"

[/ QUOTE ]

No you can't. It is "cállate" when using tú or "callate" when using vos. "callete" doesn't exist.

[ QUOTE ]
the command of the verb callar, stop talking with Te directed at the other person

[/ QUOTE ]

The verb is "callarse" not "callar". The "te" isn't there because it is directed at someone it is there because it reflexive. It translates to "shut yourself up". Your spanish isn't as good as you think.

Also, I am used to hearing kah-SHA-te in Argentina whereas in Mexico it would be KAH-yah-te. I may have screwed the phoentics up because I'm not very good at phonetically spelling things.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 PM

metetron what a negative nancy, please note my improvement
Old 05-09-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks KJS... with spanish i studied it for a long time in junior high, high school and then travelled a bit and was clueless. the sounds were such a big thing, for example in spanish "kayatey" is how to say shut up, and that's how i would have spelled it a few years ago but now just by sounds i can put the right letters down "callete" the command of the verb callar, stop talking with Te directed at the other person. extremely satisfying, when i hear a song or someone talking and there is a word i don't know there is still only a 1/5 chance (or less) i can spell it correctly but it's getting better and feels great. takes time for the ear to get used to the sounds

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't there many many bigger problems in the world to worry about than how to pronounce "callete?"
Old 05-09-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't there many many bigger problems in the world to worry about than how to pronounce "callete?"

[/ QUOTE ]

You people are trying to put me on Spanish tilt by repeated writing a word that doesn't exist aren't you?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay i was thinking you were a jerk for your first response to me, but with this one i concede
Closed Thread