Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 11:34 PM

Default Shaniac Min-Check-Raises Me

Shaniac has been entering a fair number of pots pre-flop, either calling raises, limping behind, or raising from late position, but he hasn't been super aggressive, especially not after the flop. I've been a little LAGgy, but certainly not out of hand. The other Villain likes to call pre-flop. The only other time I raised UTG, it was a smaller raise, other Villain called, I bet a little over half pot on a KQ8 flop, he min-raised, and I folded. Shaniac was at the table when that happened.

We are both top 5 with 30 remaining in a 30 rebuy WSOP satellite paying one spot.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t1600 with t75 antes (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t63234)
UTG+1 (t51506)
MP1 (t12953)
CO (t15225)
Button (t42718)
SB (t11587)
BB (t104829)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t4800</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Button calls t4800, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t3200

Flop: (t15725) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t9000</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t18000</font>, Hero ???
Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Shaniac Min-Check-Raises Me

I'm kinda thinking I like a shove here. He's gonna be hard pressed to call as I think he has to give you credit for a big pair. But I also think there's a good chance you guys may be on a 2nd or 3rd lvl here (if he knows who you are and I'm assuming he does) which makes it a little more tricky. Also, is there any possiblity that he meant to click call, but was multitabling and min raised by mistake?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:06 AM

cold-call hes min-raise and push on A,K or Q turn
Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cold-call hes min-raise and push on A,K or Q turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 AM

With stacks, the bet size kinda makes sense. For whatever reason, he wants there to be three bets before we get it all in.

I have no idea if he's baiting you to push or if he's trying to make it look like he's committed while saving chips on a bluff, though, so I've got no advice [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 07-23-2006, 12:09 PM

The fact that I had previously raised UTG, c-bet, and folded to a min-raise was the deciding factor for me here, but I think a push might be best anyway. He cold called a raise and a call, so I think he's less likely to have AA/KK, though I'm sure he's capable of it. Maybe he's got 66 or a 5 in his hand, but doesn't seem very likely either. So this could be a bluff or a probe bet with 77-QQ. I imagine I fold out TT with a shove here, even JJ or QQ might have a tough time of it, though I think he calls more often than not. I'd rather not fold out 77/88, but he's probably done with those if I call him anyway. I only have a pot-sized bet left, he could have 6 outs, there are other cards that are scary for me, and shaniac is good, so I just shoved on him and he folded. Maybe calling is better if I'm willing to call/push any turn. Thoughts on that?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:59 PM

I like pushing. The pot is as big as your stack, thus is worth winning. You MIGHT fold out a better hand. If you just call and he is drawing to 6 outs I cannot imagine you will get any more from him if he misses and will only get action if he hits one of his outs. In this case don't give him free cards and push. Of course, I would likely get trapped by a big pair in this scenario.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:02 PM

I don't push here.

I call this and raise his turn bet all in.

Pushing here gets him lay down worse hands.

He has to act first on turn.

If we think we are ahead, pushing really, really sucks here, especially since Shane saw us lay down to a min raise earlier.

He can do this with air, smaller pairs, straight draws etc.

He can do this with a 5 or 66 too, but you are WAY ahead of his range. (He *may* just call TT/JJ PF, but I still don't lay down here, vs. him with our weak image)

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-23-2006, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You MIGHT fold out a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-23-2006, 06:42 PM

We hardly beat any hands here. Do you think he raises with 22-44? We beat 77 and 88, and lose to 10-10 through AA,66,55,A5s,65s,etc.

I dont hate a flop fold as the turn card is probably going to be more of a disaster and I doubt hes checking it.