Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: What If There Is a God?

If everything is subjective then there is no point for discussion.
In order to have a discussion, it's important not only to express one's thoughts but to bring facts to the table. Now obviously the facts themselves are disputable but that's the point of discussion.

Atheists do not believe in a God. God means as much to them as pink unicorns do. If there was evidence that there was a God, any rational person would reconsider. There is no reason as of right now.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are you going to do, throw sticks at him?

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems a more honorable thing to do than fall on my knees and pander to a monster, regardless of the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even when facing eternal damnation? Sorry, I'm willing to die for my ideals, but burn in hell? [censored] that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your forgeting pascal's wager. Massively +ev to stick to your ideals. Why risk eternal damnation to gain eternal hell?

chez
Old 05-25-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In order to have a discussion, it's important not only to express one's thoughts but to bring facts to the table. Now obviously the facts themselves are disputable but that's the point of discussion.

Atheists do not believe in a God. God means as much to them as pink unicorns do. If there was evidence that there was a God, any rational person would reconsider. There is no reason as of right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a fact.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-25-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a fact.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anything a fact?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a fact.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anything a fact?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In order to have a discussion, it's important not only to express one's thoughts but to bring facts to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the "facts" guy.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-25-2007, 09:57 PM

Broken record time,

In all logical schools of thought the burden of proof is on the prover and not the disprover. You can then argue duality (as you do here) and say, "then the proof could just as easily need to be a proof of God's nonexistence instead of existence." However, God is not falsifiable. You can disprove a theory positing that God does not exist an infinite number of ways by demonstrating that God does exist.

It is impossible to demonstrate God's nonexistance. Impossible. Duality doesn't hold, the burden of proof is on the faithful.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a fact.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anything a fact?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In order to have a discussion, it's important not only to express one's thoughts but to bring facts to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the "facts" guy.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure am! But there are definitely facts, though we may perceive them through our tinted glasses. We have to interpret them to the best degree. But despite this, some interpretations are clearer than others. The more evidence we have to a certain observation the more legit it is. It's more plausible to say that the sky is blue rather than pink. You can always argue that our perception is not accurate, but we already know that. I am simply not going to think the sky is pink unless there is a reason to. Saying that it could be pink changes nothing.

What if there is a God? What if money fell from the sky? What I could shoot laser beams from my eyes? Why should I bother answering any of these if they only exist on the realm of what if?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 PM

All my observation is doing is showing that certain kinds of Atheist attacks on Religion are unfair

PairTheBoard

Well if that's all i think i will stop reading right here.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if there is a God? What if money fell from the sky? What I could shoot laster beam from my eyes? Why should I bother answering any of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not asking you to consider the question for the purpose of computing some kind of pascal's wager. I'm not asking you why you don't believe in God. I imagine you have your reasons. I encourage you to argue those reasons in an attempt to convince others you are right. And of course, if you are right those who disagree with you can be seen as ridiculous. But when you attack them for being ridiculous based on the presumption that you are right, I must object. You are then logically offbase.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-25-2007, 11:59 PM

PTB,

Your main source for believing in god is the bible. Is that correct?
If that is the case, why do you believe it to be true?