Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Cranberry Challenge

[ QUOTE ]
The foam is really neat. I definitely think the molecular gastronomy stuff is interesting. What other projects have you tried? What happened when you tried to make the cranberry caviar?

The foam and garnish on the dessert both look really fun. Well done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've mostly been playing around with foams and with sodium alginate/calcium chloride gelling. I've made a couple of caviars that came out better than the cranberry -- one with apple juice and one with (strangely) flat Coke. When I dropped the alginated cranberry juice into the solution, it just didn't gel -- it kind of flattened out and sunk to the bottom of the bowl. It was cohesive enough not to disperse immediately, but when I stirred the water gently, it broke apart.

I also picked up a couple of other toys -- including some tapioca maltodextrin, which is supposed to turn fats into powder (bacon powder, anyone?) My next experiment will probably be pea soup "ravioli", which I may try this weekend.

If people are interested, I'll start a thread to report and discuss. I'd love to hear if anyone else has experimented with this stuff.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM

Sam, We are on the same wavelength. Baking is what I was going to suggest for December. I think people will be busy over the holidays, but everyone will be making family favorites, pies, breads, cookies and it would be great to rachet it up a level for a challenge. We might get more participation than we would for a more structured contest. Sounds great to me.

I have three bags of cranberries. I have one idea in mind and could crank out a couple of more, but wouldn't be able to get to it until the weekend. I'm o.k. with it ending tomorrow too. Whatever. We could extend the cranberry contest through the weekend but also start December thread on the 1st. How does that sound?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM

[b]<font color="red">Cranberry chip</font>

2 t robustosauce
1 c lucksack powder
3 t oregano
6 T sugar

Old 11-29-2007, 01:37 PM

If people are up for extending through the weekend, I have a recipe for cranberry pot roast I'd like to try out.... (but I'm happy to still make it and put up some photos even if it doesn't make it in time for *contest* entry)