Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Did i fold to early

Not many reads, only been at table for an orbit but noted nothing odd about the players so far so considered them avg until proven wrong.

With 3 callers behind me is it the right thing to fold a mid pairing with such a bad flop.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, SB calls.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Did i fold to early

Cut the action after you fold to avoid biased answers.

But nah, this is fine, maybe BB has A3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] maybe he has K9 or maybe he has ATC, anyways you beat nothing but a flush draw and you'll loose to that 1/3 or the time anyway. If the pot was gigantinormous you could peel one but not here.

sorry about the turn.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM

[nit factor 5]too[/nit factor 5]

Fold is super standard. Playing woulda coulda shoulda will drive you insane. Start watching how many people lose money calling down with bottom pair or pocket pairs.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:25 PM

i skimmed ur post. but i believe if were planning of folding (with few exceptions) we can never do it too early especially with a hand like this.

the only time u cant fold too early is when ur drawing to a hand which is likely to be a winner and u have the odds..which u dont have here so a fold is standard
Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 PM

This is what we call reverse implied odds. Folding is good here.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Might as well mention that he missed a "?" too.

While we're at it, have you noticed that the micros needs a lesson that:
your = "belonging to you"
you're = "you are"
their = "belonging to them"
they're = "they are"
there = "that place"

Nitfest over
Old 09-15-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Might as well mention that he missed a "?" too.

While we're at it, have you noticed that the micros needs a lesson that:
your = "belonging to you"
you're = "you are"
their = "belonging to them"
they're = "they are"
there = "that place"

Nitfest over

[/ QUOTE ]

No one likes a nit.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:11 AM

Caffinated, this is a good question that can be resolved easily.

Consider that there are 5 players in this pot. Now it is possible that we have the best hand, without considering any action. However, there are many turn and river cards that can come, and could be scary enough such that we may be unsure that our hand is best. We would be playing our hand very timidly--such that we can't make value bets, and we are only calling bets trying to showdown our hand.

Consider that the flop has two kings. A lot of players will play Kx. It is not likely, but someone could have a king. So we may be behind because of that. Someone could have a 9. So if we are behind, we only have 2 outs to improve.

Consider that a bet has come to us before it is our turn to act. This will be the most compelling reason to fold. There are 2 players yet to act, and the player who checks can still act. In other words, there is already action, and there may be more. We may be wary of calling one bet, but if it gets raised, we will be very unhappy about our hand.

Finally, consider that this is an unraised pot. This is not much of a pot, so going to showdown is not desirable. Consider if the pot had been capped with the 5 players. With 20 bets in the pot, there is more incentive to continue.

All of these considerations make a strong case for folding, which is what we should be doing here. This may seem like a tough hand to you at first, but I hope it's clear now to you that it is a routine fold.

Buzz
Old 09-15-2007, 12:25 AM

I thought I read that with 2 overcards to your pair on the board you are about at a coin flip and these are worse, a big pair and 2 suited. Is that right? or is that to simple?
Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I read that with 2 overcards to your pair on the board you are about at a coin flip and these are worse, a big pair and 2 suited. Is that right? or is that to simple?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two overcards will beat a pair about 45% of the time. That may be what you're thinking of here. But having two kings out there is actually better than having one, since it decreases the chance that someone has a K (the 9 doesn't help though). This probably offsets the additional flush risk.