Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Great subtle moments in movies

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Arrested Development is a similarly subtle TV show. tons of little visual cues, lines, etc. Stuff that sets up stuff for a long time in the future, when everything seems so off-the-cuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love the scene in michaels office...where Gob comes in and tells Michael he bought a boat, he calls it the Seaward. then their mother comes in and michael says to Gob, "get rid of the Seaward" and Lucille says "I'll leave when I'm good and ready."
Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 PM

Near the end of Glengarry Glen Ross, Jack Lemmon comes in all psyched and happy, saying "Put me on the Cadillac Board!" after making a big sale.

As Kevin Spacey tells him that the customers are flakes, you can actually see Lemmon deflate. He doesn't say anything, but he actually appears to shrink as the realization sets in.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:07 PM

From Babel. I'm pretty sure that many people missed this even after a few viewings, but anyway. In the scene near the beginning where the Japanese girl returns to her apartment and flips through maybe 5 channels on the TV. For an instant, she is on a news channel where we see mugshots of the Morrocan kid and the father, which basically hints to us that they will get caught. Their picture only flashes for a second, and if you're not paying attention (which likely is the case because the girl is doing something else), it very easily blends with the background.

Edit: Not sure if this is exactly what happened, but this is how I remember it.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 PM

Zodiac - When Jake's character comes face-to-face with who he suspects to be the killer.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Babel. I'm pretty sure that many people missed this even after a few viewings, but anyway. In the scene near the beginning where the Japanese girl returns to her apartment and flips through maybe 5 channels on the TV. For an instant, she is on a news channel where we see mugshots of the Morrocan kid and the father, which basically hints to us that they will get caught. Their picture only flashes for a second, and if you're not paying attention (which likely is the case because the girl is doing something else), it very easily blends with the background.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just remembered my answer for the "Worst movie of all time" question.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just remembered my answer for the "Worst movie of all time" question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad I could help.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Near the end of Glengarry Glen Ross, Jack Lemmon comes in all psyched and happy, saying "Put me on the Cadillac Board!" after making a big sale.

As Kevin Spacey tells him that the customers are flakes, you can actually see Lemmon deflate. He doesn't say anything, but he actually appears to shrink as the realization sets in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great example.

Jack Lemmon is so good at that moment, you can just see that his life is essentially over.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 PM

In Blue Velvet, when Sandy's boyfriend catches up to Jeffrey and Sandy right in front of Sandy's house, and they're arguing, and there might be a fight, and it's a little gooofy for just that moment, but...

...then it's all salvaged by the very slow appearance of a naked Isabella Rosselini in the background, with her arms hanging out like she's on a cross, stumbling toward the fracas, bruises and cuts all over her aged, saggy body...

...and the douchebag jock says, "What? Is that your mom?,"

...and his douchebag jocko friend says, "Hey. I thought you were gonna kick his ass!"

You had to be there.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before the final battle scene is Saving Private Ryan: The deuchebag Brooklyn guy looks at Matt Damon & says nothing with a slight nod as if: "lets nail these Kraut bastards". I like that scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its more like "ok, you're a good guy and you deserve this."

Perhaps Speilberg made it too subtle.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:35 PM

This answer may suck, but it will suck less than many of the posts already made, so [censored] it: In Forrest Gump, the Army recruiter comes up to Forrest after he graduates and asks if he's given any thought to his future, and Forrest, as if he's never heard the word before and has no idea what it means, says "Thought?"

If you don't like that one, then I'm sure I can name you a dozen in The Usual Suspects.