Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 09:02 PM

Default PLO the professionals choice

IS it me or do i see most of the Pros playing PLO instead of NLH on the internet?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: PLO the professionals choice

prolly because they can control the pot size better - an amateur just can't PnP every hand because they might get out played.

Its the reason that Negreanu made a statement about switching the main event to PLHE.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 PM

Actually the pros play it more because Omaha is a great cash game, much better than NLH.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:48 PM

its the best action game, and most these people are sick degens
Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 PM

The late stages of tourneys are luck-fests even with Hold'em - with Omaha it's so much worse. Exploiting small edges in fine in a cash game, but really doesn't work in a tournament.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Exploiting small edges in fine in a cash game, but really doesn't work in a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

PLO is a percentage game like limit holdem and they play much the same (with the exception that one has a smaller edge over the weak players at PLO that's then compensated by bigger bets).

When there's enough fish on regular bases one has a bigger edge when playing holdem than when one plays PLO (shorthanded the best). Additionally, at holdem an experienced player makes better use of his reading ability playing holdem than playing PLO.

As far as I know, when the game is not fishy, PLO is twice as big (profitable) a game when thinking about the blind size.

The shorthanded NL holdem is often a tiny game (and often a rather perverted game that could be improved by playing PL when ever its an option) until players get to 1/2 or 2/4 when there rates to be more action (in that case not only there are action blind aggressors but the fish is giving much better action than they are giving in rocky/tight lower limit games where they know to fold). There are hardly any showdowns at many sh nlh games compared to plo games.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 AM

I think there is a bigger edge to be had these days in PLO as there aren't too many nits hanging around online anymore (nothing near like what was last year anyway). So often you see NLH regs sitting on 1 PLO these days. They typically start off by massively overvaluing hands and transition quickly to massively undervaluing them. It's so swingy thou that you require a much bigger bankroll obv. Personally, I reckon a random player with knowledge in PLO and NLH could make as much money playing .50/1 PLO as he could playing 2/4 NLH.