Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Drum and Bugle Corps?

Anyone here marched with one? For those familiar with the activity, I've played the following years:

Minnesota Brass Inc: 1998 - current
Madison Scouts: 2000

All years on snare drum.

It is a shame that most people don't know about this activity. It is awesome. Go to www.dci.org and find a show near you this summer.

Ryan
Old 02-17-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Drum and Bugle Corps?

I marched with the Colts from 2002-2004...baritone my first year and drum major my last two years. This summer will be my second summer on the Colts' visual staff.

My avatar is the Colts logo.

I think I might have been at your table during a PS NL HE tourney a couple years ago. I remember someone with something about the scouts as their screen name.

But yes, drum corps is a very exciting yet not all that well known activity. Ive never met anyone who went to a show and didnt like it.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:11 PM

I marched snare with Heat Wave of Orlando 2000-2002. The plan was to march Boston Crusaders until I aged out but I sort of lost interest in the whole thing. I can still play a few beats tho.

Efficacy, fwiw, I really enjoyed watching Brass in the parking lot. Sadly, in 2002, I was stung by a bee watching you guys in Scranton...
Old 02-17-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I marched snare with Heat Wave of Orlando 2000-2002. The plan was to march Boston Crusaders until I aged out but I sort of lost interest in the whole thing. I can still play a few beats tho.

Efficacy, fwiw, I really enjoyed watching Brass in the parking lot. Sadly, in 2002, I was stung by a bee watching you guys in Scranton...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kind words. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You should definitely check out senior corps... so much better than junior corps IMO.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I marched with the Colts from 2002-2004...baritone my first year and drum major my last two years. This summer will be my second summer on the Colts' visual staff.

I think I might have been at your table during a PS NL HE tourney a couple years ago. I remember someone with something about the scouts as their screen name.

But yes, drum corps is a very exciting yet not all that well known activity. Ive never met anyone who went to a show and didnt like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We meet again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That was me indeed. How did the drum major experience go? I know a couple Minnesota people who did colts recently:

Scott S : Bass drum (I think)
Snare drummer girl (I'm totally blanking on her name, but she went to the same highschool as me)
Phil H : Tenors

Are you traveling to MN this summer?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:20 PM

I wasn't in a "Drum and Bugle Corp" as it were, but I was in the Ohio State University Marching Band (TBDBITL, Late 70's) which is an all brass Marching Band. We didn't march with the Basic DCI stride step. It was an all high stepping fast snappy turn thing. We actually thought the drum corp thing was pretty gay compared to us.

But, a bunch of years ago my uncle took us to the DCI Nationals in Madison and even though I was hesitant I must admit it was REALLY good and I did enjoy it. He is a bit crazed about the whole thing and travels around to the nationals quite a bit.

Any Marching band that shuns woodwinds and is all brass is good in my opinion!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:49 PM

I played soprano in a very small d3 corp called Lake Erie Regiment in 2000. Madison Scouts freakin rock btw. Definetly my favorite Drum corps.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We meet again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That was me indeed. How did the drum major experience go? I know a couple Minnesota people who did colts recently:

Scott S : Bass drum (I think)
Snare drummer girl (I'm totally blanking on her name, but she went to the same highschool as me)
Phil H : Tenors

Are you traveling to MN this summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Scott was a bass and Jamie is the snare youre thinking of. I remember you telling me that you knew them.

We will be in Minneapolis on June 16th and in Coon Rapids on the 17th.

Drum Major was fun at times and sucked hard at times, but I am really glad that I did it. But as much as I enjoyed being a member, I like being on staff much more. After last summer I decided that what I want to do is teach so Im in grad school now working on my PhD so that I can teach. Pretty crazy how drum corps changes you.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played soprano in a very small d3 corp called Lake Erie Regiment in 2000. Madison Scouts freakin rock btw. Definetly my favorite Drum corps.

[/ QUOTE ]

We (Colts) marched at Lake Erie Regiment's home show my age out year (2004). It was a nice little stadium although I heard stories from a few years before I marched that some townie chased one of our members around with a knife before the show. Kinda crazy.