Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

UFC 77. Thoughts on how this card is going to be. Worth watching?

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

Honestly, any of the numbered UFC cards is gonna be worth watching from this point forward. 77 (and 78) aren't gonna be of the same standard as 71-76, but the main event should be good, and the Sylvia/Vera fight has a lot of importance. The Yushin Okami fight should be on the main card over Gurgel/whoever, though.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 PM

pretty excited for silva/franklin. The bonnart fight is just starting now...weee, here we go
Old 10-21-2007, 12:38 AM

Anderson silva is a sicko
Old 10-21-2007, 12:55 AM

man did silva dominate

it sucks that theres no good matchups for him [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] dont think henderson wants to move down so i guess maybe they just give silva okami next?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:45 AM

All,

Some thoughts on tonight's fights:

Disappointed how Gurgel finished after putting on a beautiful BJJ demonstration in the first round vs. Robinson. I wondered at the time if this fight would portend bad things for Franklin (it did).

Great to see Stephen Bonner back though Eric Schaefer's only real purpose in this fight was to serve in a role akin to the Washington Generals or a classic WWE jobber like the Brooklyn Brawler. Seemed like an easy win for Bonner.

The Vera/Sylvia fight highlighted just how much size matters. Vera could be extremely competitive at 205...I'm not sure being able to eat whatever you want adequately compensates for giving up 40 lbs in a fight. Wasn't the most exciting fight, but fan-nemisis Sylvia dominated the clinch game and landed just enough nice shots to walk away with the decision.

Sylva/Franklin: Wow. I've been telling friends who are MMA fans that Anderson Sylva is pound for pound the most dominant fighter in the world. The guy has it all, and it's classic "pick your poison" when you step into the ring with him. His Muay Thai is unrivaled, and trying to take this BJJ black belt to the ground is no good option either. I was pulling for Ace, but Sylva just can't be stopped right now. His ending combination was a thing of beauty, a succession of different knees, elbows, and punches which left a dazed Rich Franklin wondering where the next shot was coming from. An absolute Muay Thai clinic. A great fight from two of the classiest guys in MMA.

I think the only guy in the world who can match up decently with Sylva right now is Dan Henderson (assuming he'll drop down). No one is going to outstrike Sylva, so DH's ground and pound style might be the only antedote to a fighter with no real weaknesses.

An enjoyable show...UFC 78 reeks of "meh" with no titles up for grabs and the Michael Bisbing/Rashad Evans main event...I still think Matt Hammil got robbed in London in his match vs. Bisbing at 75. If 78 had a Tito/Rashad and Bisbing/Hamil rematches, I might consider ordering it.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 AM

I'm not jumping on the A. Silva worship wagon until he beats Hendo, Filho or Lindland. Hopefully Hendo goes back to 185 cause there's nobody else in the UFC MW division on Silva's level right now.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 AM

Silva is sick but I think his one weakness might be wrestling.
A lot of people keep saying his ground game sucks cause he got taken down by a tired fatass Luter but remember he was coming off surgery on his knees before that fight.
Just throwing that out there before a bunch of people say hes weak on the ground.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:59 AM

demian maia is gonna kick anderson silvas ass

too bad it will take 2 or 3 fights before he gets a chance
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not jumping on the A. Silva worship wagon until he beats Hendo, Filho or Lindland. Hopefully Hendo goes back to 185 cause there's nobody else in the UFC MW division on Silva's level right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

too bad silva will never fight filho since they are training partners.

also this ufc almost made me cry, [censored] you yves lavigne for never breaking up that big slouch sylvia when pushing against the fence doing NOTHING.

also anderson is very good, but he is starting to get overrated by alot of people.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also this ufc almost made me cry, [censored] you yves lavigne for never breaking up that big slouch sylvia when pushing against the fence doing NOTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) i thought yves did a great job as ref, ignoring the crowd and objectively looking at each clinch to see if the fighters were active enough. when vera had sylvia against the cage he was much less active, and yves broke them up.

b) ufc fans are possibly the worst sports fans in the world, with all their booing. let the fighters have the fight they want. i've been tilted by boos at virtually every ppv i've seen.

c) i am pretty new to watching ufc, but that is how i see it.
Closed Thread