Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: The feminization of todays youth

[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't like somebody who was fundamentally P/A, but I'll sure as [censored] do something that is if it avoids a confrontation.

Some people consider this weak, others probably consider it "cunning".

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids,

Color me contemptuous. That said, we've had this argument about 20 times, so [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 PM

BTW-

I think the benefits of team sports, just in terms of helping the kid socialize are huge. I wish my folks had been far more agressive in pushing me towards that kinda stuff, and I will for my kids. It's just for different reasons.

Kid,

If I had to define "being a man", it would mostly focus around the concept of "accountability", but then the argument is really less about gender and more just about how to be a decent human.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM

Al,

"You disappoint your teammates, you fail, you get physically injured, you work hard for a victory... these are all good life lessons and playing a team sport socializes you in important ways."

By the time they're of age, the whole little league will get trophies. Everybody wins!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 PM

All the people crying about the fem youth need to stop crying like a bunch of nancies.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 PM

The attitude of the OP reflects a generalization that certain actities promote sexual identity in children. Here, the OP is equating playing sports as a youth to proper masculine sexual development. Although neglecting to engage in physical activity as a youth may have negative consequences such as a life long pattern of inactivity and obesity, I dont think "feminization" is necessary a direct causal result. If this argument were true, then clearly all students who neglected to engage in HS athletics are bound to turn into pansies, and this includes people in marching band, art, academics, etc. The only students with "proper masculinity" would be the football players and those who majored in "less feminine" activities such as autoshop. One can see how equating sexuality to certain activities and not to others is absolutely ludicrous.

-J
Old 03-28-2007, 06:56 PM

People are focusing far too much on the "sport" part of this discussion, and not enough on the "boys are being taught to be wussbags" ideas
Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People are focusing far too much on the "sport" part of this discussion, and not enough on the "boys are being taught to be wussbags" ideas

[/ QUOTE ]

true. werewolf is actually the source of all pansies. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 07:01 PM

You have NOT seen me play werewolf (or Mafia, as we always called it).
Old 03-28-2007, 07:03 PM

Best believe my son will be taught werewolf at a young age. If only I was taught as a youngster...I can only imagine how awesome my life would be now.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The attitude of the OP reflects a generalization that certain actities promote sexual identity in children. Here, the OP is equating playing sports as a youth to proper masculine sexual development. Although neglecting to engage in physical activity as a youth may have negative consequences such as a life long pattern of inactivity and obesity, I dont think "feminization" is necessary a direct causal result. If this argument were true, then clearly all students who neglected to engage in HS athletics are bound to turn into pansies, and this includes people in marching band, art, academics, etc. The only students with "proper masculinity" would be the football players and those who majored in "less feminine" activities such as autoshop. One can see how equating sexuality to certain activities and not to others is absolutely ludicrous.

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you let everyone know what my atitude is, re-read my OP, I never equate any activities whith anything gender-specific etc. I never equate playing sports with proper masculine sexual development, learn to read. I did say that some of the arguments that well meaning parents spout are imo, bs. The begining was a stream of thought that brought be to the actual question in my OP.