Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 11:46 PM

Default TP2K... YUCK

Villain was aggro but solid up to this point. We had both been killing the rest of the table. Thoughts on this hand (pre-flop and flop) would be appreciated...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) CP hand converter

MP ($62.22)
Hero ($141.14)
Button ($97)
SB ($41.75)
BB ($34)
UTG ($268.68)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25, UTG raises to 258.68 (all-in), Hero folds.</font>

Final Pot: $293.63
Old 06-14-2006, 11:49 PM

Default Re: TP2K... YUCK

If he is this agg why not just call the flop? He is goign to build a big pot for you so let him
Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 PM

I would think about raising preflop in position to not only isolate, but also because we have a good chance of having a better hand, and will find out if we're strongly behind by his action.

On this flop, an overbet is quite unusual. It's not easy to read, and I think your raise is correct. If I had a normal stack, I would call, but with super deep, it looks like he's ran into a monster, or has super guts.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is this agg why not just call the flop? He is goign to build a big pot for you so let him

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming he is 'reasonable' (at this point, I had no reason to believe otherwise), I wanted to raise this flop for information. I had not made any crazy moves to this point, so what hands am I beating here after he pushes? AT? He could have AK, AJ, two pair, a set...

The overbet did throw me quite a bit, I have to admit. So I wanted to see wtf was really going on, so I raised. This guy either has brass balls or I'm toast.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think about raising preflop in position to not only isolate, but also because we have a good chance of having a better hand, and will find out if we're strongly behind by his action.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point and I thought strongly about re-raising preflop. Don't know if not re-raising was a mistake or not. On the one hand I wanted to use position and avoid a huge preflop pot with the guy. On the other hand, not re-raising really left me in the dark post flop.

Keep in mind, this guy and I were crushing the rest of the table. I was trying to avoid a huge pot with him if I could do so. The guy was decent but he also had a lot of gamble in him (willing to go racing pre-flop with mid pairs, for example).
Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 AM

Raising is fine, and you're beating only a bluff (I consider having a hand like AT here a bluff).
Old 06-15-2006, 12:21 AM

i RR pf in position. when your in control of the hand and in position, that really helps you decide if you want to play a big pot or small pot with the AQ (a very important concept in deeper stacked poker).

as played, i probably just call the flop. not a tremendous amount of draws out and our hand has decent showdown value. calling down might be okay here. folding to a big turn bet might be okay too.