Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: I don\'t understand the point of straddling...

I've actually gotten the straddle going a couple times in 2/5 and 5/10 games that I've played - mainly to avert a table getting a little too tight.

It was extremely successful last time, I pissed off two cheap nits and they were replaced by major donators. Straddle +EV (even if it cost me a few bucks) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM

Aces on the straddle, I think that's the real reason anyone does it. NH sir.

I've never seen it done in any position except for UTG, so I'm interested to see how the situation with multiple straddlers in a game that allows it in any non-blind position is handled.

I've never straddled. I can't seem to put the money up possibly dead ... which is a silly statement since I'll occasionally call in the dark as a result of the one time I did so with aces.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a bit of a hijack but...

In places where a straddle is permitted from any non-blind position, what happens if multiple people want to straddle on the same hand? I'm not talking about straddling and re-straddling (as is not uncommon in rooms where the straddle(s) are always directly to the left of the big blind). Is there a priority of who gets to straddle first? Also, are restraddles permitted with a Mississippi straddle and, if so, can they also be from any position?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for every room, but at the Rio, during the WSOP, they allowed a modified Mississippi straddle where you can straddle from the button. In cases where both players wanted to straddle (UTG and Button), the priority went to the button and only he could straddle.

Assuming there is a logic here, I would assume priority goes to the "best position" in cases of multiple players wanting to straddle ... but I don't know for sure.

--Headhunter
Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Wow at the Mississippi straddle. I have never seen it, but it is basically the same a straddling from the button in a 3-handed game. That gives the button a significant strategic advantage. Under most game situations that I can think of, I would straddle from the button every single time.

Is the straddle in the game a set amount (ie 2x big blind), or can the stradler choose the amount he wishes to straddle?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow at the Mississippi straddle. I have never seen it, but it is basically the same a straddling from the button in a 3-handed game. That gives the button a significant strategic advantage. Under most game situations that I can think of, I would straddle from the button every single time.

Is the straddle in the game a set amount (ie 2x big blind), or can the stradler choose the amount he wishes to straddle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many rooms will not allow a straddle on the button in a 3-handed game for this exact reason.

PS: Straddling in a limit game is pure gamble, it has little strategic results except to help loosen the table for a hand.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Many rooms will not allow a straddle on the button in a 3-handed game for this exact reason.

PS: Straddling in a limit game is pure gamble, it has little strategic results except to help loosen the table for a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This used to be a very standard rule (no straddle in a 3 handed game). The advent of MS Straddle has weakened this position a bit.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 PM

Anyone know if straddling is acceptable in WA cardrooms or tribals ?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:44 PM

I dont see why it it wouldnt, technically the straddle is put on by the first person to act, so it's the same thing as raising the minimum except youre not looking at your cards.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see why it it wouldnt, technically the straddle is put on by the first person to act, so it's the same thing as raising the minimum except youre not looking at your cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh no. A live straddle (as most people are discussing) means that the person placing it has not yet acted and gets to act last preflop. It is not just a blind bet.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:02 PM

Sometimes at Canterbury, the table will agree to a round of straddles, this can make a crazy table even more so. The only other time I straddle is when I feel the table is at a "tipping point," when there has been a sudden increase in LAGgy play. I've found that a well-timed straddle can tip the game into crazyville, where even the better players become intensely stupid. Emotions can be powerful things and the rush of gamble-gamble can be intoxicating. If you can retain your head while those around you lose theirs, its like printing money.