Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Poker Superstars Championship III airs Superbowl Sunday

Poker Superstars Championship III airs Sunday at 1-3 PM on NBC. It's an 8-handed, winner-take-all, $500,000 freeroll for the quarterfinalists from the Poker Superstars series. That and all the other shows are listed at Poker on TV as usual.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Poker Superstars Championship III airs Superbowl Sunday

Actually it's less then 8 handed now because this is part 2. Part 1 aired last weekend on NBC. This is the first time they needed two episodes to show it,but I'm not complaining.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:07 AM

It showed as a rerun on my programming guide, and Olivert said it was on the 4th, so I missed it. Sorry for the late notice. I hope I can find a [censored] for it.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually it's less then 8 handed now because this is part 2. Part 1 aired last weekend on NBC. This is the first time they needed two episodes to show it,but I'm not complaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess I missed it then. If it's anything like the last 2 years I'm not gonna lose much sleep over it.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:32 PM

This is alright so far. Nice laydown by Antonio with two pair against Mike's flopped flush. Q63 board all diamonds, mike had 108 diamonds, antonio Q3 out of the BB...

flop went check, magician bets 50k, mike doubles it, magician calls.

turn mike calls leads for 125k and antonio mucks faceup.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:53 PM

What's the story with this show? It's obviously the foxsports show repackaged on NBC, right? I observe: Different announcers, different music, a "gallery" in the background, Mary Strong does a more in-depth interview with Mike Matasow's mother, and she's holding an NBC mic. The same, but different.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:48 PM

There have been some brutal suckouts.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Brutal beat for Carlos on the end there. J on the river knocks his AK out vs Mike's AJ.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:58 PM

That was quite the pushfest I just saw on NBC...

Is it just me or does Mike the Mouth appear to have far more hair than he used to? Plugs?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the story with this show? It's obviously the foxsports show repackaged on NBC, right? I observe: Different announcers, different music, a "gallery" in the background, Mary Strong does a more in-depth interview with Mike Matasow's mother, and she's holding an NBC mic. The same, but different.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Poker Superstars Invitational Tournament airs on FSN, and is comprised of 24 players. The winner of PSIT III, Todd Brunson, won $400,000 for that victory. For those who don't know, the buy-in for PSIT III was $50,000 per player.

The final 8 qualifiers in PSIT III won a seat in the Poker Superstars Championship III that was aired last week and today. This event is filmed for NBC to be broadcast on Super Bowl Sunday, and is a $500,000 winner-take-all freeroll. This is why accumulating points and doing well in PSIT III is so important. NBC likes to have a small audience for the Championship, but there was no audience during the filming of PSIT III for FSN except for friends and immediate family, or other players not playing in a particular match.

I thought it was great that Matusow came back to win. He started his first two matches on PSIT III with 6th place finishes, or 0 points. Just to make the top 16 was a feat in itself, let alone to get into the final 8 and have a shot at the $500,000.

He started slowly because the night before his first match on PSIT III, he had won the 2005 Tournament of Champions and $1 million. He was not at all prepared for the structure the morning after his victory, but adapted quickly after 2 rounds and when the euphoria of winning the TOC wore off a little and he could focus on playing in the PSIT III.

The Poker Superstars Championship 3 was held immediately after PSIT III was completed, remarkable in that the results have been kept quiet now for over a year.