Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 12:24 AM

Default Re: NL $100...big check re-reraise w/ tptk

dude, i would say "oh thanks that i checked".

I really dont like it.

First - u dont know where u are, and u will only now at showdown after putting all your chips in.

Second - most of time u will be behind.
-------

Question to u guys:

Q6 here, easy push?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:40 AM

I forgot to mention the co was playing like a bit of a maniac, a LAA...56/35/3 over last 150 hands...I had zero respect for his pot bet.

I mentioned the button is a SLAA - a good, tricky player. I knew that his raise didn't mean the nuts, and most likely he was trying to just win the pot. (If he was a moron I would insta-fold this hand...)

Like I said I generally bet the pot here and take it down - but I knew it wouldn't check around, I felt I had the best hand, and felt I could get more value out of it by c/r and either 1) winning the pot right there or 2) winning a BIG pot against KQ/QJ.

I would agree with what some of you said that my line leads to me playing for all my stack (obviously) and pot betting - calling/folding later would be safer, but I'm not convinved that line has more ev.

Anyway...turns out button had Q9 spades. On the flop I was about 54% to 46%. He hit it of course, on the turn.

I'm not sure I would have pushed if I were him...he was getting the right odds with me having AQ but the way I played it I would put me on set or a higher flush draw...scary possibilities for his hand.

Anyway, knowing the result I'm glad I didn't pot bet this time. I would have had to fold at a later street, and saved money, but I would have had NO chance to win the pot.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:46 AM

Oh - and I can understand everyone saying fold...normally this screams fold. In fact, I almost did fold but I just had a feeling that the button was semi-bluffing and would fold when faced to play for his stack. I think he might have if he didn't also have the Q spades to go along with his flush draw...

Anyway, there is an intersting discussion to be had about the best way to play TPTK on a 2-suited flop oop...I often find myself trying to decide between the pot bet or c/r lines. I'm not sure there's an easy answer, except to say it depends on the villains.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, knowing the result I'm glad I didn't pot bet this time. I would have had to fold at a later street, and saved money, but I would have had NO chance to win the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot was a wopping $5 on the flop. When you didn't raise preflop and let 4 opponents limp in, you shouldn't get this married to TPTK. What's the big deal if you c/f (and give up your chance of winning) a $5 pot with TPTK under these circumstances?

I would have lead the flop, but once you checked and the action went the way it did, simply fold and be glad you didn't bet. Yes, someone 'could' be semi bluffing, in which case you're a small favorite. OR you could be crushed. The point is that you have no idea.

The idea is not to win the most pots, it's to win the most money. Obviously you can't win a pot if you fold, but that does not mean that often times folding isn't the still the best option.

BTW, if you think that any player playing at this level, with that much money in the pot, is folding TP + a queen high flush draw, you better think again.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, if you think that any player playing at this level, with that much money in the pot, is folding TP + a queen high flush draw, you better think again.

[/ QUOTE ]