Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Player really can\'t afford to play

I think scott's answer is a good way to prevent him from getting destroyed when he's left with good players. Let him at least end on the good side of luck. Also, yeah, dumping some chips to him from time to time isn't a bad idea either. These are microstakes.

If he enjoys playing, then help him out. Turn this into a poker study group. At showdowns, talk about how you played your hand and why. When you react to his play, tell him your reads and why they're your reads. Throw out some poker proverbs when appropriate (eg, when folding TPTK against a big raise, say "don't go broke with one pair"), etc. These are your buddies and the stakes are tiny. This isn't tapping the glass, it's helping out friends so that you can all enjoy this activity together.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:56 PM

It's your home game, you can play it any way you want.

If you really want to help him, how about you and the other good player talk about strategy during the game. This way:

1. You'll let him (and the others) know that there is strategy.

2. You won't have to worry about getting into an awkward moment.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to explain LHE to other players but they were reluctant because 'it seems too complicated' [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a huge LOL capped by a well timed angry face.

Are you sure he "can't afford" to play? I'm not saying you're wrong but without knowledge of his bank account or net worth it's kind of a guess. It could be that can afford to play but gives off the whiff of not being able to, like maybe he's cheap or something. Most of us know at least one person who has more money than they know what to do with but is ridiculously stingy and come off like they're broke.

If you're right and he's in over his head then that's his problem, although your concern for him and trying to limit his losses rather than take advantage of him is nice.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'll address everyone in one reply.

(1) Talking to LAGP about his situation.
I am not good enough friends with LAGP to do this and I think if anyone talked to him about this matter it would be terribly awkward.

However, it may be possible to have someone in the game talk to LAGP's wife, who has considerable influence over him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Other players in the game are much better friends with LAGP's wife.

(2) pfapfap:
"Maybe help him learn to play better?"
GoodP and I have tried to help him in the past at the table, but he is very stubborn in his poker beliefs. It seems he gets a lot of advice from WSOP coverage. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

A typical situation: 0.25/0.50 blinds. LAGP (~$120 stack, large for this game) raises preflop to $3 with QT and GoodP calls.
GoodP check/calls $3 on the flop with a straight draw.
On the turn, GoodP checks, LAGP bets $6, GoodP raises to $20, LAGP shoves (drastically overbetting the pot) and flips over top pair and GoodP shows his straight.

We ask LAGP why he bet so much. 'I had to push because I wanted him to pay for his draws.' We suggest that maybe just calling would have been better (he would never consider folding) but he shows no interest in listening.

LAGP is aware that good poker strategy exists. I keep a collection of poker books on a bookshelf in my living room and he has looked through them. Skimming through 'Theory of Poker' LAGP jokingly said, "Ohhh... it says you should occasionally 'semi-bluff'... I've just been bluffing the entire time." GoodP and I laughed.

(3) mr.spam:
"Also, your stakes are very weird. You play with $0.25/0.50 blinds but everybody buys in for $10-$20. In my opinion, it means that people aren't really "ready/prepared" to play 50NL. Play 20NL or 10NL for that matter, and let those few who want to buy in for more buy in for more."

If the fishies want to buy-in for 40BB, I let the fishies buy-in for 40BB. I adjust to the short-stack strategy until one of them doubles up.

Note in the OP that I never said it was capped at 40BB. If any of them buy-in for more, I usually match their stack.

It is actually LAGP that pushed for the 0.25/0.50 stakes. Everyone else likes the stakes too.

(4) scott1:
"Before that he's just losing money at poker, but when it's down to the two good players and him he's just getting hammered. Sounds like the other good player will back this up. Just say when it gets down to 3 players that "it's not really poker anymore", or something."

I may go with this idea. He will still be a losing player, but maybe not as bad if we quit at 3 players.

My only concern is that if either GoodP or myself is stuck for the night, we may want to recoup our losses from LAGP.

(5) tuq:
I am 100% sure he should not be playing if he is going to lose this much money. Their financial situation is not a secret. He was a home appraiser and got laid off during the housing market collapse. His wife makes a bit above minimum wage. They don't have any savings.

(6) Playing limit:
I will have to think of some way to make the betting easy for them to understand (I don't know how it can be easier). They like to bet whatever they want.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:53 AM

Don't teach him directly. People don't want to be talked down to in front of other people. Just talk about your play with GoodP.

"Yeah, I only called your bet because my top pair was a weak hand, and there was a lot out there that beat me already."

Or whatever. Do it as a general discussion, talking about your own play and asking questions of GoodP. Let him learn through observation and discussion, not through lecture.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't teach him directly. People don't want to be talked down to in front of other people. Just talk about your play with GoodP.

"Yeah, I only called your bet because my top pair was a weak hand, and there was a lot out there that beat me already."

Or whatever. Do it as a general discussion, talking about your own play and asking questions of GoodP. Let him learn through observation and discussion, not through lecture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the advice, but I think that a change in game structure will have a much better chance of reducing LAGP's losses than this idea.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Talk with him about it. See what he has to say for himself first...

Also, your stakes are very weird. You play with $0.25/0.50 blinds but everybody buys in for $10-$20. In my opinion, it means that people aren't really "ready/prepared" to play 50NL. Play 20NL or 10NL for that matter, and let those few who want to buy in for more buy in for more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would try to play limit at least as an experiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit is a bad idea for a LAGtard. He will get bored and pwned when he can't push people off of hands or feel cool and bluff big.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:53 PM

My advice:

Treat the guy like a freakin' adult. Come on. Do you want someone else baby-sitting you? Lying to you?

If you aren't good enough friends with the guy to talk with him straight-forwardly then just let it go. Take his $.

You are not his dad.

I'm not saying to take advantage of him. I'm saying to treat him like and adult and let him make his own decisions about how he spends his $, etc.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:57 PM

You are a good man i think : ).