Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Table Image Question

I believe this post belongs in poker theory.. if not please move and advise..

Anyway.. I was thinking about two situations at a table that relate to each other. The first is getting a good hand winning without showing and immediately getting another good hand. The second is losing a big hand to a bad beat or being slightly outkicked (just not by bad play) and getting another good hand directly after... now the question: Does anyone think about how you will be viewed by other players in these situations and worry if you will lose credit for having good hands because of this. We've all seen the guy who blows a chunk of money and immediately raises big on the next hand and we've all seen a guy on a roll get a little overzealous.

Thoughts on this? Theories on ways to approach these situations. Often times I find myself limping or folding (and Im not a big fan of limping at all) if its not a high pocket pair or AK after losing big and if Im on a roll I usually stick to a standard raise.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Table Image Question

Actually if you hold a-k and you've just lost a previous pot to unfortunate circumstances ,then you should be more inclined to raise the pot . They may believe you're on tilt and consider re-raising you lightly in which case you can play back at them .

You should avoid limping if you can and especially if you're opening . The only exception is if I think my limps will certainly get raised but my raises may not get called .
Old 09-19-2007, 03:17 AM

I love getting getting good hands in such situations - the other players are likely to think you are a loose donk. I am always raising and hoping that the others think I am tilting.

However, marginal hands I'm laying down. Not a good time for bluffing.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM

This really depends on the other players. When a player wins one or two hands in a row through aggression and doesn't showdown, some players will tighten up against him and some (ego types) will want to take a shot at him. Generally, I tend not to steal or bluff when I am in such a situation unless I get more isolated against a weak/tight player. I would probably fold UTG all but AK, QQ+.

After losing a big pot to a bad beat or some other showdown where people go "wow", I also tend not to steal or bluff right away. Some people will loosen thinking tilt while other will think "loser" and simply want a piece of my stack. I love getting a premium hand however since if I know this is how my table is perceiving me, I can overbet above my standard and pick off somebody with AJ or 88.

In general however, I would say players are not going to change that much over the course of a hand or two. On the other hand, if they do react to your table image, I would say in both cases they would loosen up against you.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:20 PM

Those are all pretty good points.. I think i get a little gunshy and worry about a lot of callers.. its like limping with aces.. I guess continuing to be strong with the cards and knowing when to fold post flop is the best way to go. Thanks for all the input
Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me with this.. I just ended a session where I lost a sizable pot (for me) to two people holding QJos who continued to call my bets and raises. They chopped it with a straight made on the river killing my top pair good kicker. Im happy to report that I folded the reraise on the river realizing what happened

The next hand I was dealt AKs in the button and thanks to the advice given here I played it like I was tilting against the same villian and cleaned him out (he had AQ os)

This is the first bit Ive posted, got a response on and saw a result in my play so I just wanted to say thank you all
Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me with this.. I just ended a session where I lost a sizable pot (for me) to two people holding QJos who continued to call my bets and raises. They chopped it with a straight made on the river killing my top pair good kicker. Im happy to report that I folded the reraise on the river realizing what happened

The next hand I was dealt AKs in the button and thanks to the advice given here I played it like I was tilting against the same villian and cleaned him out (he had AQ os)

This is the first bit Ive posted, got a response on and saw a result in my play so I just wanted to say thank you all

[/ QUOTE ]
No thank you, that's the first time my advice has ever worked. Just kidding.

I do want to say though that when something like this works, don't get carried away and think it should work every time. Or for that matter, don't think that it worked this time for the reason you think it did.

What I am saying is that you need to temper your play at the poker table. Things don't always work the way the should work or for the reason they should work.

Okay, in other words, keeps these plays in mind, keep asking questions, take note of your hands and just keep thinking. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No thank you, that's the first time my advice has ever worked. Just kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you were kidding?

Nice feedback OP - way to go. When it doesn't work tomorrow though don't come back having a go at us, lol.

Good luck
Old 09-26-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure you were kidding?

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfornately, not really. Most posters just take the advice and sail off into the sunset. At least this OP had the courtesy to report back with our advice in action. Kudos.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 PM

yeah im not that naive to think one thing is going to work all the time.. i think the key point here was the advice given helped me to continue to be aggressive with quality hands regardless of what just happened. Im not so short sighted to think one positive result is a large body of information. My hang up in this case was preflop play. I realize the texture of the flop can completely destroy or discredit a great starting hand.

Thanks for the words of caution however.. as always ill continue reading and searching for the leaks in my game