Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: 2/4 live unbeatable?

[ QUOTE ]
well I just came back to check on this thread.. got a lot of feedback. It makes sense that it is beatable and of course I want to make more money so I will move up when I can. Im currently building a roll the working mans way and its going well. Took $100 of my money, doubled it and have been playing with just the + money since. Foxwoods also doesnt run a 3/6 game so i gotta ride the 2/4 until I get to $2400 which is a safe bankroll for that level from what Ive read around here.

As always thanks to all for the feedback

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can beat 2/4 then you're leaving money on the table by not immediately playing 4/8. Let's say you start playing 4/8 with a $1600 roll. If you run crappy you can always move down to 2/4 if you drop down to $1000. Worst case scenario, you go broke, it's not like we're talking an amount of money that's hard to replace.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:09 AM

I have over 6000 hours at 2/4 from when I started playing years ago to now when I sit down waiting for a 10/20 seat to become available AND THEY ARE BEATABLE!!!! I make a consistent $4.17/Hour, but the rake is huge at this level (apparozimately 14% vs. 2% at 10/20). Now you won't get rich playing 2/4 but it's a great starting place to learn to deal with the variance and negative swings. I recently spent a week in Vegas playing 10/20 at the Mirage and 2/4 and 3/6 at my hotel before going to bed, and believe me terrible players are everywhere.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:34 PM

yeah I overstated bankroll requirements when i said $2400. Ill wait til I get up to the $1600 level to switch up to 4/8 though. Im building the bankroll from nothing so its not like I can throw another grand at it whenever.. Also I dont think Ill have a problem dropping back down if I go negative.

Heres something most people dont talk about and I wonder if anything has this issue. I happened to have grown up really poor.. single mom working 2 jobs and not eating so we could keep the house and we could eat. As I got older things got better but I was so used to not asking for anything or spending any money that it carried over into my adult life. I now make what I consider good money, I live comfortably and I still dont spend money on material things. How does this tie into poker? Ive had a hard time playing at levels outside my comfort level. This last 6 months has been better but I wouldnt JUST sit down at a 4/8 game right now and hope to run good and build up. I used to get cold sweats on a $4 reraise on the turn and river at 2/4. I have the money to be playing and its not like the rent isnt being paid.. Anyone else deal or dealt with this?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:00 PM

I'd be of the opinion that if you can't easily replace a grand you probably shouldn't be playing.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:57 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be of the opinion that if you can't easily replace a grand you probably shouldn't be playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his statement was that if he lost a dime, he would move down. That's pretty practical. Most people can afford to play 10/20 if they have a Job but it's the ones that build a role over time that do the best.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his statement was that if he lost a dime, he would move down. That's pretty practical. Most people can afford to play 10/20 if they have a Job but it's the ones that build a role over time that do the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, that's practical. What I'm saying is that I think you have to have a bare minimum of financial resources and/or security to take up the game responsibly. OP is probably saying that he'll move down if he loses any and that's fine. What I'm trying to tell him is I think he's better off putting another $1000 in his roll and play 4/8 comfortably without having to move down after one bad session.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I overstated bankroll requirements when i said $2400. Ill wait til I get up to the $1600 level to switch up to 4/8 though. Im building the bankroll from nothing so its not like I can throw another grand at it whenever.. Also I dont think Ill have a problem dropping back down if I go negative.

Heres something most people dont talk about and I wonder if anything has this issue. I happened to have grown up really poor.. single mom working 2 jobs and not eating so we could keep the house and we could eat. As I got older things got better but I was so used to not asking for anything or spending any money that it carried over into my adult life. I now make what I consider good money, I live comfortably and I still dont spend money on material things. How does this tie into poker? Ive had a hard time playing at levels outside my comfort level. This last 6 months has been better but I wouldnt JUST sit down at a 4/8 game right now and hope to run good and build up. I used to get cold sweats on a $4 reraise on the turn and river at 2/4. I have the money to be playing and its not like the rent isnt being paid.. Anyone else deal or dealt with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly didn't grow up poor, but out of college I started out making more money than either of my parents. This is mainly because I grew up in rural Pennsylvania and currently work in Silicon Valley, so my rent is like 3 times more than my parent's mortgage, but whatever....

OP, I'm sort of dealing with the same problem you are right now in terms of moving up. I think I could beat the 15/30 game, nobody would go hungry if I dropped 4K trying, and yet I'm still not doing it. I'm trying to convince myself it's because I still "have a lot to learn" at 6/12, which is at least partially true. But honestly, there is no really good reason for me not to give it a shot and consequently I'm going to sack up and do it soon.

Edit: And yes, the first time I sit down and face a $60 bet on the turn I will probably crap my pants.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly didn't grow up poor, but out of college I started out making more money than either of my parents. This is mainly because I grew up in rural Pennsylvania and currently work in Silicon Valley, so my rent is like 3 times more than my parent's mortgage, but whatever....

OP, I'm sort of dealing with the same problem you are right now in terms of moving up. I think I could beat the 15/30 game, nobody would go hungry if I dropped 4K trying, and yet I'm still not doing it. I'm trying to convince myself it's because I still "have a lot to learn" at 6/12, which is at least partially true. But honestly, there is no really good reason for me not to give it a shot and consequently I'm going to sack up and do it soon.

Edit: And yes, the first time I sit down and face a $60 bet on the turn I will probably crap my pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

just keep in mind that if you're gonna play scared, dont play.

and dont overcompensate by playing what i call "reverse scared," where you play tight preflop but get married to all of your hands.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 PM

2-3 thousand dollars a year for 15 hours a week effort? My guess is these guys are playing right where they need to be. "Grampa"knows when he has a hand and bets it dam'it
Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just keep in mind that if you're gonna play scared, dont play.

and dont overcompensate by playing what i call "reverse scared," where you play tight preflop but get married to all of your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not the marrying kind, but thanks for the advice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm wondering if I can buy some sort of glasses that could make me red/green color blind. That way, the 15/30 game would look exactly like the 3/6 game at AJs....