Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Deliberately Mucking Another Hand

Last night at a boisterous 6/12, several characters took a bit of prompting to keep things going. The focus was an older gentleman, in seat 5, who I felt was putting on a bit of an act. Not a regular. Midway through my down, some kid in the 2 seat, who had been joking with the old guy and I got a sense had a "rivalry" going, mucked his hand directly on top of 5's, who was looking away or having trouble reaching around his large stack on a cramped table, or something. I watched it happen and saw which two cards were whose, so I separated them out (5 folded anyway). I've seen people sort of fake try to muck, usually when cards are protected, but never so clearly a path from hand to cards. I looked the punk square in the eye and told him in no uncertain terms that his actions were unacceptable and would not be tolerated again. Thankfully he wasn't a regular, or he'd have known that I have no power and have told me to piss off, but I wanted everybody to be clear that I put up with a lot in the spirit of the game, but some things are completely unacceptable. I view this as one of them.

Okay, so, settled, right?

I related this story to an aquaintance, who tells me that he often mucks the hands of people who hold up the game. He sees no problem with it, and figures the players deserve it for not protecting their cards. I feel it's something he should ask the dealer to address.

So, what's your thoughts on this? Okay to do or not so much? How would you react to someone doing that? Oh, and this was no accident, because after I admonished him, he was able to aim his mucks over seat 1's hands, over my arm, and into the muck pile. Every time.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Deliberately Mucking Another Hand

What this guy did was just very scummy. As far as you mucking someone elses hand, I don't condone that (one person to a hand). I always see the dealer take care of that if the player doesn't respond in time or is somewhat away from the table (standing or talking to someone behind or whatever).
Old 09-24-2007, 06:58 PM

1) Always have a card protector
2) The player should be kicked out, that is just bush league and slows down the game, plus in can lead to a violent ending if it is not taken care of by the house.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 PM

You handled it.

I prefer dealers taking initiative to getting the Floor involved.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you react to someone doing that?

[/ QUOTE ]
He would have to pry the cards out of my hand to muck them.

Seat 2 is out of line and would be asked to leave if he does it a second time where I work.

But, if seat 5 protected his hand...

Players should protect their hand as soon as it arrives in front of them.
It's not magically protected untill it's your turn to act.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I related this story to an aquaintance, who tells me that he often mucks the hands of people who hold up the game. He sees no problem with it, and figures the players deserve it for not protecting their cards. I feel it's something he should ask the dealer to address.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from enforcing the rules and managing games, poker rooms are responsible for providing good customer service. That includes making customers feel welcome, comfortable, free from intimidation and respected. No-one "deserves" disrespect in this environment, and another player treating someone with such blatant disrespect (and compromising the integrity of the game) deserves reprimand.

BTW, I think the way you handled the situation was perfect.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you react to someone doing that?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO dealers should STFU and deal.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:20 PM

haha
Old 09-25-2007, 12:35 PM

Handled perfectly. If you do not handle the situation immediately as described it will usually cause an uproar at the table and the floor will end up being called by someone before it's over.

IMO, if the 2 seat so much as says a cross word while he's still at the table, he gets a free trip out of the poker room. There is no place for those kind of childish actions at the poker table.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Yay, thanks for the backup. To be clear, the other person I spoke with is a player, not a dealer.

It's nice to know there's support for dealers taking a hard line. I've often commented to my supervisors that if we were allowed to deal a person out of a hand because of bad behavior (requiring the floor to come over and explain why, backing the dealer), we'd have the room under much better control and practically eliminate dealer abuse. Sadly, they do not share my view.