Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Can\'t color up to $100\'s, WTF?

[ QUOTE ]
I have to color up when I am winning big. I am fairly clumsy and knock over my chip stacks constantly if I build them up any higher than about 15 per stack.

I make an effort to color down preemtively players who have lost most of their little chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your point of view, but I think it's to your benefit to work on your fine motor skills if you knock your stacks over frequently. Here is why IMO:

In LHE at stakes from 2-4 to 30 and some 60 games, when you are up big and building mother [censored] ing castles, two things will happen; players will give you alot of action or they will be afraid to play against you. Figure out who is doing what and you own the game even more than you already do. You MIGHT run into one player who will still be playing optimally against you, not likely though. Bottom line is most people will be making more mistakes than they normally would. It's worth it to get rid of the shakes or whatever your problem is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 PM

Also, I try to color down people ASAP who have colored up also, but I color that [censored] right back down for myself ASAP too!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In LHE at stakes from 2-4 to 30 and some 60 games, when you are up big and building mother [censored] ing castles, two things will happen; players will give you alot of action or they will be afraid to play against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're already afraid to play against me. People have flashed me an ace on an ace-high, no-flush, no-straight board before folding on the river. At 3/6.

I like to keep my chip stacks large enough so that people don't think I am desparate or on tilt in order to preserve my tight image, but small enough that I don't continually knock them over or have problems protecting my cards when I look at them.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 AM

They won't give you give you black chips if you color up in a blue-chip game at Canterbury Park, either. Tough to get $92 in change out of a $30 pot.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Color up = weak = not used to having a lot of chips = afraid going to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

color up = don't want to go to a second layer of stacks = gotta make room for more.

At least once per night I see somebody's tall stack gets knocked over and a few chips fall onto the floor. Losing chips underneath the table is -EV.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 AM

I was playing at MGM once, $2-$4, some newbish first-time-in-vegas kid has about $125 in blues ($1) and just gets up and leaves. The dealer looks around for him but he's not around so the dealer opens up his seat.

30 seconds later the kid comes back, sits down with 1 Black ($100) and about 15 whites, doesn't say anything and me and maybe one other guy notices. The dealer starts dealing and gets to the kid (in the 7 seat) and says "Oh, I thought you left... wait... where are all of your chips?" the kid shows his $100 and says distinctly (as if the dealer didn't know the phrase) "I COLORED UP".

The dealer then explains that he has to keep all of his money in play and can't go cashout part of his money, upset the kid storms off, but not before asking the dealer to color up his remaining $15.

I can only assume he watched the "how to gamble" video they play on a loop in the room and mention "coloring up" at least 10 times.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

color up = don't want to go to a second layer of stacks = gotta make room for more.

At least once per night I see somebody's tall stack gets knocked over and a few chips fall onto the floor. Losing chips underneath the table is -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tall unsupported stacks: -EV ... Mother [censored] ing castles (that can GET tall eventually): +EV

It's basic architecture
Old 08-02-2007, 06:08 AM

Many reasons why coloring up is bad (from a dealer's perspective):

* It's a delicate thing to find the optimal time to call the chip runner over to color down again.
* While it's easy to deal with one level up in chip, it's also a stark reminder in the pot that the gambooler is losing.
* It makes pots look smaller, affecting action and tips.
* Ratholing

We don't allow higher than $5 in our $1 chip games, $20 in $2 chip games, and $100 in $5 chip games. The $5 and $20 I can handle okay (tho' I make change from my pocket when able), but I get color-downs ASAP with the $100 on the 15/30. Those who are coloring up with fewer than fifteen stacks remaining in front of them inevidably have to cash them in anyway.

I haven't played limit in a while, and I usually liked to start with some higher color chips, or color up when I wasn't in the mood for a castle. I of course got change from them long before I needed them. I never considered how it affects play of others. If/when I ever go back, I'll stay with the lowest denomination.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can anybody offer some insight as to why this policy was put in place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two reasons.
One, as mentioned above, white chips are easier to rathole.
Two, having to break the white chip when the player loses the next two hands slows everything down.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you love it though when an hour later, you have mucho chips in front of you, and keep game moving, you get to 'color down' the player.