Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 11:30 PM

Default WCOOP triple draw satellites

Stars is running triple draw satellites every 5 hours, in the pattern $20+2 turbo, 750 FPP turbo, $36+3, 1500 FPP.

In addition, the $36+3's have "round 1" satellites ($8+0.80) starting 2 hours 15 minutes ahead of time the start time.

5-minute levels on the turbos are going to be brutal.

Levels: (1500 starting chips)
20/40
30/60
50/100
100/200
150/300
200/400
300/600
400/800
600/1200
800/1600
1200/2400
1600/3200
2000/4000

I may spend some time playing these; the number of people who show up not understanding the rules may be substantial.

Any theory thoughts for short-stacked TD tournament play? My rule of thumb is to try to commit to a pot with position instead of OOP--- it is better to take an inferior hand in LP than try to wait for a better one in EP or the blinds.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: WCOOP triple draw satellites

[ QUOTE ]

5-minute levels on the turbos are brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I may spend some time playing these; the number of people who show up not understanding the rules may be substantial.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be playing a bunch of them because the players are bad and don't understand when and how to gamble in all in spots. But I didn't run into anyone in the 750 FPP I won tonight who didn't know what game they were playing.

[ QUOTE ]

Any theory thoughts for short-stacked TD tournament play? My rule of thumb is to try to commit to a pot with position instead of OOP--- it is better to take an inferior hand in LP than try to wait for a better one in EP or the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. One thing to note is that limping becomes very popular as the levels increase, and so does checking when a card ahead. You're going to want to do those things, and you're also going to want to take advantage of them with your blind play.

Pot control in general becomes really huge. TT should get a kick out of playing these.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 AM

I have a feeling these are going to be right up my alley. I've cut my teeth on the $1.10 SNGs, and have since been final tabling the $11 2-7 on PokerStars fairly consistently. I like my chances against the average player. If I win my entry, I plan to keep playing to build up T$/W$ to play the other events too.

Go forth and wreak havoc, 2+2ers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true. One thing to note is that limping becomes very popular as the levels increase, and so does checking when a card ahead. You're going to want to do those things, and you're also going to want to take advantage of them with your blind play.

[/ QUOTE ]

shhhhh.... secrets! Another tool is limping in to induce a big pot. Its beter to play a big pot multiway than HU to build a chipstack. Sure the risk is in losing the hand, but the payoff could be huge. This concept must be balanced on a case by case basis of course, I am not advocating a pure limping strategy.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:02 AM

Absent specific reads IMHO, it comes down to position. When you're OOP, you almost have to raise. With the button, whether you raise or not really depends on the actions of the players in front, and your strength against their range. If they've all limped in, raising to get people out isn't viable: they're priced in. In that spot, a raise would be to build a pot when you have a monster, or induce them to give you a free draw on the next round (less likely against calling/betting stations, of course).

Granted, I haven't been playing 2-7 as long as most of the people here, so my comments might expose some holes in my game to someone more savvy. But I play a lot of limit poker, and I get the impression the limpers are NLHE players coming in and giving the game a try that are not comfortable with Limit games.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:52 PM

I don't quite understand a couple of the ideas here.

1) Why does Badugi think that you should limp? Also to induce a big pot? I don't really agree with this play. If I'm close to the button with a hand I like to play I always put in a raise so that I may get position and reduce the field to just one other player. It's just so much easier to win the hand in those circumstances, mainly because you know if you should draw or stand on the third draw. If you invite people to play multiway you're going to need to make a good hand which won't always happen, and the blinds are so high that you can't really afford to lose a single pot.

2) Why does Badugi think that you should check when you're a card ahead? That's just madness. Am I reading his post wrong?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:47 AM

Badugi and I have both placed in a satellite so far; he in a FPP and I in a $36+3.

My starting table was pretty tough. Not much limping and people were showing solid hands. (I think they were playing almost too tightly, but not so much that I found it easy to take advantage of.)

But, I felt I had a substantial advantage at the end due to players not understanding stack preservation in satellites. I was severely short stacked about three from the money but players with bigger stacks kept playing like nothing had changed, so I got to fold a lot and watch them turn their decent stacks into smaller ones.

(One poor guy was all-in predraw for his last chips, made a wheel, and got half.)
Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Why does Badugi think that you should check when you're a card ahead? That's just madness. Am I reading his post wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

When your opponent is short, you don't necessarily want to put him in a position where he has to commit all his chips, or give him an opportunity to double up. Unless you have a large edge, or are quite likely to get a fold, the value of tournament chips can make giving a free card preferable to getting an extra bet in the pot.

(Remember, when two people have a big confrontation on the bubble, everybody else's $EV increases.)

Also, if you opponent still has a bet or two left at the end, you can bluff. If he's all-in, you have to have the best hand.