Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Who are your top 10 college football teams -- OFFICIAL early ranki

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly LSU will be substantially better than Auburn next year.

[/ QUOTE ]
As a big LSU fan/graduate, I can only hope you are right.

Geaux Tigers!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Who are your top 10 college football teams -- OFFICIAL early rankings

[ QUOTE ]

Firstly LSU will be substantially better than Auburn next year. Putting Auburn in the top 5 is ridiculous. They are at best 10 in a top 10 poll (if I were making a top 25 I'd have them around 15 actually). They whooped up on some cream puffs last year and did not look particularly great against good opponents. They either lost to or barely beat anyone decent on their schedule, not exactly top 5 domination. (South Carolina hadn't come "around" when they played AU)

So while I won't speak nationally I'll give my SEC rankings

West

1. LSU
2. Auburn
3. Alabama
4. Arkansas
5. Ole Miss
6. Mississippi State

East

1. Florida
2. South Carolina
3. Georgia
4. Tennessee
5. Vandy
6. Kentucky

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, no offense intended, but you're waaaaaay offbase.

South Carolina a GOOD bet to win the East? NO! NO! NO! They are a darkhorse, take a 100-1 chance to win the East. They are the 4th best team in the division, and it's not close.

As for Auburn: they may have a tad less talent than LSU, but talent isn't the only factor. Auburn has 4 road games: South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and Miss State. They will be favored to win all 4, and I predict they will. They can run the table, but even one loss will win the West. LSU will be FIGHTING for 2nd with Arkansas.

I'm kind of dumbfounded still at your East predictions. Good luck with those.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:00 PM

1. ND - favorable schedule gives them clearest path to the title game despite questions on defense; could run the table, lose to USC and still make the title game

2. tOSU - explosive offense; word in Columbus is that despite losing most of their defense, there shouldn't be that big of dropoff in production

3. West Virginia - an easy schedule gives them a good shot at running the table with the biggest obstacle being game at Louisville

4. Oklahoma - a healthy Peterson and they might have the best defense in the country; biggest question mark is the inexperienced oline

5. Nebraska - returns nearly everyone and will have one of the best defenses in the country; word in Lincoln is that this will be NU's best team in nearly a decade

6. USC - if they can survive early game vs. Huskers with inexperienced qb and rb's they could run the table setting up showdown vs. ND

7. Texas - all the pieces are there for a repeat except the qb, hard to see the Horns winning against tOSU, OU, and at Nebraska with a frosh qb

8. LSU - they have the talent to make a title run, but their losses on defense along with brutal SEC road schedule may be too much to overcome

9 . Florida St. - their offense should be much improved with a healthy oline and the experience gained from last year; despite losing a lot on defense, they'll still field a top 10 unit;, biggest obstacle is season opener at Miami

10. Iowa - the second best team in the big 10 has a favorable schedule with tOSU, ISU, and Wisconsin at home
Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Who are your top 10 college football teams -- OFFICIAL early rankings

1) tOSU.
2) West Virginia.
3) Auburn
4) LSU
5) USC
6) Oklahoma
7) Florida
8) Iowa
9) Notre Dame
10) Texas
Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still having a hard time buying OSU at #1. I know everyone is high on Troy Smith and Ted Ginn, but I can't see Tressel opening it up and scoring 40 plus points a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsflash. If your defense isn't as awful as USC's, you don't need to score 40 points a game.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. ND - favorable schedule gives them clearest path to the title game despite questions on defense; could run the table, lose to USC and still make the title game

2. tOSU - explosive offense; word in Columbus is that despite losing most of their defense, there shouldn't be that big of dropoff in production

3. West Virginia - an easy schedule gives them a good shot at running the table with the biggest obstacle being game at Louisville

4. Oklahoma - a healthy Peterson and they might have the best defense in the country; biggest question mark is the inexperienced oline

5. Nebraska - returns nearly everyone and will have one of the best defenses in the country; word in Lincoln is that this will be NU's best team in nearly a decade

6. USC - if they can survive early game vs. Huskers with inexperienced qb and rb's they could run the table setting up showdown vs. ND

7. Texas - all the pieces are there for a repeat except the qb, hard to see the Horns winning against tOSU, OU, and at Nebraska with a frosh qb

8. LSU - they have the talent to make a title run, but their losses on defense along with brutal SEC road schedule may be too much to overcome

9 . Florida St. - their offense should be much improved with a healthy oline and the experience gained from last year; despite losing a lot on defense, they'll still field a top 10 unit;, biggest obstacle is season opener at Miami

10. Iowa - the second best team in the big 10 has a favorable schedule with tOSU, ISU, and Wisconsin at home

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you live in Lincoln? I'm not so sure about that.

I go to school in Lincoln. Huskers should be decent, constantly improving these past few years. We should have one of the best defenses in the nation. Our offense is horrendous though. Theres also a gapping hole in the running game. OL issues are also present, as Taylor got sacked a [censored] last season.

We'll see how the Huskers do. IMO, there is no way the Huskers are #5. They had a nice run last year, crushing CO and Mich in the last 2 games of the season, but as I said before, the running game/OL will be tested this season.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL?

09/02 at Ga Tech 8:00 PM
09/09 Penn State 3:30 PM
09/16 Michigan 3:30 PM
09/23 at Mich St 8:00 PM
Old 07-31-2006, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL?

09/02 at Ga Tech 8:00 PM
09/09 Penn State 3:30 PM
09/16 Michigan 3:30 PM
09/23 at Mich St 8:00 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

You think ND is going to be a dog in any of these games? They get UM and PSU both at home, and PSU has a new qb starting on the road. Gtech has got major secondary issues, and MSU still has John L. Smith as their head coach.

Sure there September schedule is tough, but after that it’s easy sailing until their game at USC.

You conveniently left out the rest of their schedule:

Sat. Sep. 30 3:30 p.m. ET Purdue
Sat. Oct. 7 3:30 p.m. ET Stanford
Sat. Oct. 21 3:30 p.m. ET UCLA
Sat. Oct. 28 11:00 a.m. ET at Navy
Sat. Nov. 4 2:30 p.m. ET North Carolina
Sat. Nov. 11 4:00 p.m. ET at Air Force
Sat. Nov. 18 2:30 p.m. ET Army
Sat. Nov. 25 8:00 p.m. ET at USC

ND should be favored to win their first 11 games. It’s not inconceivable that they could go 11-0, lose at USC, and still play in the title game.

If you want to see an unfavorable schedule, look at LSU, Iowa St. or Texas A&M.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:20 PM

Most of ND's tough games are at home.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:25 PM

CS,

It's not a matter of them not being favored. Lots of top 10 teams will be favored in all of their games. Lots of those teams don't have to play the calibre teams that ND does week in and week out. It's a tough schedule.