Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Learn from my mistakes part 2

I'm thinking you have to keep it simple (st00pid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) on this hand: pot the flop, pot the turn, block the river (if he's still around [edit] AND a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] come -- otherwise pot again and call a push [/edit]). I am punishing the fds here, and trying to stack weaker aces. I'm just not toally sure what to do if the 3rd heart comes. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

EDIT 2: You forgot to include your results.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:32 PM

I'd call the flop and see what comes on the turn (probably a check) and act accordingly. Your all in screams I have nothing and I want you to go away, he's now thinking that you have AKs, AQs, AJs, KQs and thinks it's a coin flip so calls you.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking you have to keep it simple (st00pid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) on this hand: pot the flop, pot the turn, block the river (if he's still around [edit] AND a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] come -- otherwise pot again and call a push [/edit]). I am punishing the fds here, and trying to stack weaker aces. I'm just not toally sure what to do if the 3rd heart comes. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play it like the poster but I like this line much more. He will eiter a) get stacked with a lower A or B have a flush draw and not have the odds to play it correctly. Potting it is a win win here.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:40 PM

Your flop bet SUUUUUUUUKS!!!!!

You know you're offering direct odds for a flush draw to call, right?

This whole hand reeks of FPS.

River was a big problem. It's either a blocking bet or a value bet. Pick one, then play.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:43 PM

3/4 - PSB on the flop.
Pot the turn.
block the river.

As it happened though a CR on the turn might be in order. He could be thinking that your flop bet and turn check are weak so is trying to take the pot away from you. I just think against the right type of villian this would work nicely.

I think trying to be cute on the flop can often come back and bite you (well the times we remember being cute are those times they go wrong). It's best to play ABC poker at times.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:44 PM

I prefer to continuation bet strongly and check the turn. Smallish bets are just too suspect and aren't likely to garner a lot of actino except from smaller aces and better hands--which are all putting their money in anyway.

If you make a strong bet, additinoally, people will oftne convince themselves that you're FOS (because would you REALLY bet trip aces that hard?) and continue with PPs.

In any case, though, it seems to me that the value in our hand here is stacking a smaller A, and at these stakes villain could have any ace very easily. The Q on the turn sucks, and if you think eh has exactly AQ, then I guess after betting the flop check/call check/call, but I much prefer to be aggressive with oru hand here. He's not folding AJ. He's nto Folding AT. You could even c/raise the turn AI.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:47 PM

Greg,

Pushing is +EV vs anything except a boat or trips even if he never folds (I haven't done the calculations, but I'm quite sure about this). It may not maximise EV (if he will stack off when you hit your flush then calling is better), but it's still +EV.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:51 PM

Grunch,

You're right that versus trips calling would be better, but I think in this case his range is weighted much more towards QQ-55 then trips. While villain may not be able to fold trips if we make our flush, I think some villains can fold overpairs (especially if the flush card is an overcard to their pair, or if we hit an A or K).

Also OP said that villain was starting to get fed up with hero means villain could be raising here with ATC.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:20 PM

tubasteve8 hand.

I don't see how 2 pot bets on flop and turn and a river block can work. Once we get to river and throw out our block we are getting sick odds to call a push as MP1 was a little short. If you are sure he will bet the turn then I can see a check-raise allin as a workable plan as there is really no reason to put him specifically on AQ. As played with so little going in on the turn I think you can fold the river raise quite comfortably. It is a full pot raise and as he can see a flush as well as you can I expect this to be a weaker ace not too often, and his line does not look like a bluff at all.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:30 PM

Greg,

I think you played it just fine. The fact that he thinks you're trying to bully him, leads toward the chance of him playing back at you on this missed flop. I would say 70% of his range here is air. You're 50/50 against overpairs if he calls. And if he does have a 3 you're still somewhat live. You're OOP. If you call and brick the turn there is no good plan. Run some equities on his hand range and see how that turns up for you, i'm too lazy to do it.