Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think poker is a game involving skill?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

cool glad i'm not crazy. now watch 100 people will magically appear and agree with me. thanks el diablo!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Darko and others,

Now I'm hungry for Thai. Here are menus from four popular SF places. This imo gives a decent overview of the significance of fried rice in Thai restaurants in SF, definitely not nearly as important a category as in Chinese places.

http://www.manorathai.com/menu.html - 1 entry "Thai style fried rice with prawns, calamari and crab meat in egg and tomato, garlic sauce"

http://www.kohsamuiandthemonkey.com/dinner_menu.htm - no fried rice

http://www.marneethaisf.com/dinner.html - 1 entry "THAI STYLE FRIED RICE ............... 8.50..............with crabmeat, prawn with pineapple or roasted duck 9.50
Thai style fried rice with egg, tomatoes and onion. Choice of sliced chicken, beef, roasted pork or chicken sausage. "

http://www.oshathai.com/2/dinner.html - Huge fried rice section
Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM

I can only use chopsticks as drumsticks.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:09 PM

El D,

First, I know the difference between between Chinese and Thai food.

Anyway, I had already agreed with you at this point:

[ QUOTE ]
El D didn't disagree, the only thing that was disagreed w/ was when I said that this part of the menu was ordered more often than the Thai dishes (Curry, Basil etc.) which if El D is willing to "wager big money" then I would be willing to believe that I am wrong on that comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I don't know why you are bringing this up again, I said I was wrong?

Banana Leaf- popular but not as good as the next two.

Samui Thai-yum.

Chow Thai Pacific Rim-the best of the three links, the only link I could find.

A couple of the other best places in Dallas I couldn't find menu's for such as Thai Thai (good food but even more popular hang out), River Spice (Dallas Observer Best Thai 03'--has fried rice, ate there about 5 days ago and remember this) and Royal Thai (only been there once but good). I just listed probably the top 6 Thai places in Dallas and I know that they all have a portion of the menu dedicated to fried rice dishes.

I eat Thai a lot, I have lived in New Haven for the last few years (for about 5 months at a time) and downtown is filled w/ Thai restaurants (some great ones too--Bangkok Gardens ftw!) and I have only ever seen maybe a couple of menu's that didn't have traditional as well as some options of fried rice on the menu--some to the extent of oshathai.com's menu and some not so much but at least available.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I got the impression you were saying "Fried Rice is on the menu at Thai places because whitey wants that instead of other Thai entrees."

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is there quotes here? I am sorry you got the wrong impression just as Chris did (Noah didn't apparently) but you can't just assume "whitey" b/c I said "many people"--I would have to guess that is where you are getting this "impression" and if this is the case "many people" should be assumed as the opposite of a sole gender until confirmed otherwise. I still see fried rice on Thai menu's a lot though, you can link me to menu's that don't have it and that is fine but I can link you all day to menus that do--doesn't prove anything.

I know I was wrong about my comment about fried rice being consumed more than the rest of the menu...I realized it once you made your post and I also realized it b/c when I said "demographic" I am talking about age more than anything. Do you disagree that fried rice is primarily ordered by younger customers?