Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think poker is a game involving skill?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2007, 04:41 AM

Default Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

let's see, personally i try not to work my waiter too much or do anything to piss him/her off. asking for utensils shouldn't be a problem, it's not like i'm sending food back or anything. but i def like to minimize the chances of pissing the waiter off, and sending him to get something could do that(as the saying goes, don't fk with ppl who handle your food). i can live with the given fork or chopsticks. (note: i just thought about it, you can probably ask away as long as you do so after the food comes out. can't mess w/ your food once it's alrdy out)

But if you're a regular or tip well, you can always ask for anything at any time, really. shovel from the bowl method is def a good technique and it makes you look like a natural at eating fried rice. once again, very common for asians to use this method (if you are looking to fit in or assimilate a bit)

what color am i? yellow i guess? lol better to ask what race/ethnicity. I'm asian/chinese btw.

oh, when i called you super-white i didn't mean in complexion, i meant super-white in a cultural context. socks and sandals? only white ppl would wear that combo. don't take it as an insult, i'm teasing you is all.

gauging from the response from the dealer and locals, they were probably just surprised at a white person being able to use chopsticks. probably an uncommon sight in vegas i'm guessing.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 AM

Tyler,

I liked your post a lot. Socks with sandals are the ghey. I only see German tourists doing this. I think that they're made to do it because they suck at winning wars.

[ QUOTE ]
have you ever heard of an asian person being offered chopsticks while eating a meal from a fork-based society?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised that this hasn't got any attention. Personally I think it would be really, really interesting to do this and see their reaction. What would be truly awesome would be to set yourself up with a hidden camera and go into a Chinese restaurant like you did and film them giving you a fork without you asking for it. Then you organise to stalk the waiter outside work until he goes into a non-Asian restaurant to eat. Bribe the waiter to give him chopsticks and film it.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:49 AM

very hot idea adsman
Old 11-25-2007, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol at the person who invented chop sticks. seriously, two sticks, thats all you can think of? probably the worst idea ever. Even 2 round ovals would be better than sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]
rofl chopsticks are quite versatile if you learn to use them properly. imo forks = beat b/c sharp metal objects in yer mouth is just dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

IT'S A TARP
Old 11-25-2007, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I. first of all, am i weird for eating fried rice with chopsticks? i feel like i've seen asian people eating fried rice with a fork, but maybe those were flilpinos (in which case all bets are off anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]

If they were Filipinos, they'd be eating rice with a spoon, not a fork.

As for those of you who have problems eating fried rice from a plate with chopsticks, a useful technique is to approach it from the side as if you are using a two-pronged fork.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 AM

adsman,

[ QUOTE ]
I liked your post a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you, sir.

[ QUOTE ]
Socks with sandals are the ghey.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
What would be truly awesome would be to set yourself up with a hidden camera and go into a Chinese restaurant like you did and film them giving you a fork without you asking for it. Then you organise to stalk the waiter outside work until he goes into a non-Asian restaurant to eat. Bribe the waiter to give him chopsticks and film it.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet. i think i would need an assistant to pull this off, though. i'll look you up the next time i'm in Small Italian Alpine Village. perhaps your ninja cohort could be of some assistance?

fartman,

[ QUOTE ]

let's see, personally i try not to work my waiter too much or do anything to piss him/her off. asking for utensils shouldn't be a problem, it's not like i'm sending food back or anything. but i def like to minimize the chances of pissing the waiter off, and sending him to get something could do that

[/ QUOTE ]

do you live in the US? this sounds tremendously paranoid to me. getting me utensils or sending back an incorrect order ought to be painfully standard, unless you're a dick about it or whatever. perhaps you need to use "please" and "thank you" more?

[ QUOTE ]
what color am i? yellow i guess? lol better to ask what race/ethnicity. I'm asian/chinese btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was being facetious by referring to your ehtnic heritage as your "color". see, cuz my "race" is "white" so by analogy yours should also be a color. asian == yellow in this context. are you a native speaker of english?

[ QUOTE ]
i meant super-white in a cultural context. socks and sandals? only white ppl would wear that combo. don't take it as an insult, i'm teasing you is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you should say that, since i learned to wear socks-and-sandals from the japanese in Hawaii.

an example from formal (and presumably obsolete) japanese attire:

that's not a great picture, but you see what i'm talking about.

life,

now that you mention it, there was a large serving spoon brought with my rice. i was under the impression that this was to convey the rice from the serving platter to the individual's plate when eating family style. since i was eating alone, should i have tried to stick that big ol' thing into my mouth? is that what you would have done? what if you were eating with others?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
have you ever heard of an asian person being offered chopsticks while eating a meal from a fork-based society? that would be weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because that would be unhelpful. Everyone knows how to use a fork (at least, in the US). Not everyone knows how to use chopsticks.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:09 AM

yes, i was born and raised in the US.

i guess you can attribute my "paranoia" to watching too many movies involving food tampering in restaurants.

being described or referring to myself as yellow, just sounds bad. think of it the same way as when ppl think twice when calling those that are essentially black as either black or african. you know what i'm talking about. comedy tv shows love to parody this situation. it's always a bit awkward, but still funny for the 3rd person pov. most choose the latter to sound pc. it is the same for yellow/asian.

yes, i am a native english speaker. even though i'm 1st gen chinese/vietnamese, i found english to be much easier to learn and use.

i see you went ahead and got technical with the above described example of the socks/sandals combo taken from the japanese culture. It's more of an exception rather than the rule. when i describe the socks/sandals combo as being "super-white," i mean socks with the sandals like the one on your avatar. that specific style i would characterize as "super-white" as i believe only white people would sport that look.

...i think i cleared everything.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have you ever heard of an asian person being offered chopsticks while eating a meal from a fork-based society? that would be weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because that would be unhelpful. Everyone knows how to use a fork (at least, in the US). Not everyone knows how to use chopsticks.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, i agree with this. forks are easy to use (grasp the handle and poke) and the ability to use it is ubiquitous and probably not limited to the US. chopsticks require some dexterity to use and as a result, not as common worldwide. thus, it's less of a societal matter and more of a physical one.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:48 AM

hi