Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-27-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Reraising Preflop with Previous Callers in NL

I'd like to hear opinions on this topic...

Situation:

5/10 NL ring game
Average strenght opponents, no rocks, no kamikazes
Everyone is evenly stacked
You are just before the cutoff

Seat 1 (UTG)...FOLD
Seat 2...RAISE to $30
Seat 3...FOLD
Seat 4...CALL $30
Seat 5...CALL $30
Seat 6 (YOU)...???
Seat 7 (cutoff)...???
Seat 8 (D)...???
Seat 9 (SB)...???
Seat 10 (BB)...???

Pot: $105

You have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and you want to reraise. You have 4 players still left to act after you.

WHAT DO YOU DO???

Do you just call hoping that one of the players left to act will rereaise so you can reraise again?
Do you raise the pot making it ~$200 to go?
Do you over raise the pot, ~$300+, hoping the players left to act fold and only the initial raiser calls?
Or do you do something totally different?

I am faced with this situation quite often and I always find it as a difficult decision on how much to raise. I am VERY interested in finding out the opinions of others.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Reraising Preflop with Previous Callers in NL

Umm ... what stack sizes are you assuming here? 'Cause I daresay you're gonna get a much different consensus opinion if you're in this spot with $250 stacks vs. $2,500 stacks.

Beyond that, the only point I have to offer is this: If I had ten bucks for every time I've seen someone lose their stack by slowplaying AA preflop - especially in a potential multiway pot - I'd be rolled for 5-10NL myself and not slumming at the 5-10 limit tables instead. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mook
Old 11-27-2007, 11:57 PM

my own opinion is that both those raise suggestions are too large, assuming 100X stacks...... you want to raise. make them pay pre-flop. not too many callers. so go 3-4X for reraise.

do you really have that problem that often? with AA? the raise and two callers seems like a great spot already. decent pot already, and likely some callers when you raise...worse is holding KK, limping early then seeing 5 more callers.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm ... what stack sizes are you assuming here? 'Cause I daresay you're gonna get a much different consensus opinion if you're in this spot with $250 stacks vs. $2,500 stacks.

Beyond that, the only point I have to offer is this: If I had ten bucks for every time I've seen someone lose their stack by slowplaying AA preflop - especially in a potential multiway pot - I'd be rolled for 5-10NL myself and not slumming at the 5-10 limit tables instead. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mook

[/ QUOTE ]

Assume deep stacks.

And it clearly says it is 5/10 NO LIMIT!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my own opinion is that both those raise suggestions are too large, assuming 100X stacks...... you want to raise. make them pay pre-flop. not too many callers. so go 3-4X for reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to me what you mean by 3x. The initial raiser did raise 3x. So now I want to reraise the 3 times the pot.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:45 AM

I usually reraise 3x the persons raise amount, or 4x if there are one or more callers.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Just re raising period will show strength at this point. Doing that should get you into a HU situation. I would say 3 or 4x the raise so somewhere around $100
Old 11-28-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

WHAT DO YOU DO???

Do you just call hoping that one of the players left to act will rereaise so you can reraise again?

[/ QUOTE ]

This might make sense with very deep stacks or if you have an opponent behind you with Fancy Play Syndrome who tries the squeeze play too much (and an opening raiser who is perceived as loose). It doesn't sound like you have such a table.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you raise the pot making it ~$200 to go?
Do you over raise the pot, ~$300+, hoping the players left to act fold and only the initial raiser calls?
Or do you do something totally different?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise to 300, the only hands that will call you might be ones that would have reraised, so you're missing a lot of action. I usually want to be called when I raise preflop with aces. If I knew that shoving all-in pre-flop would get 3 callers, that's what I would do with aces.

A pot-sized raise would be to $155 if I did my math correctly. I would probably raise to a number between $100 and that. An alternative strategy based on your reading ability might be to think about what is the maximum raise that the first raiser would call with a hand like TT or AQ and pick that amount.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 AM

i would limp only if I have very aggressive players behind me who can't stand the thought of a unraised 5 way pot that he doesn't try to steal. Otherwise, its a tragedy to go to the flop unraised with AA.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM

The original question cant be answered without knowing stack sizes, you are turning your hand face up by 3betting an EP raise + 2 Callers in the hijack, which means villain(s) can play perfectly vs your range (QQ - AA, AK) with pps and suited connectors. With $3k effective stacks a raise to ~150 will be called by all opponents, with each one getting better implied odds with 22, 77, JTs, 87s. With $1k effective a raise to $150 is far more acceptable.

Also limping here would be suicide, you would need an incredibly good read, as very rarely are the blinds going to try a squeeze vs an EP raiser and 3 callers in a ten handed game, esp when they will be getting crazy implied odds with PPs, SCs, SAs.