Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Default boxing training

this summer I started training at gleason's gym, which is a famous boxing gym in brooklyn. it's a great gym, very old school, and I work one on one with a trainer there. I took lessons with several guys before choosing a trainer, and noticed that everyone takes a very similar approach to boxing training.

from what I've experienced so far, this wikipedia article is a fairly accurate summary. my workout is something like:

- 4 rounds of jump rope
- 4 rounds of heavy bag
- 4 rounds of combinations/technique (trainer wears mitts)
- 3 rounds of footwork
- 3 rounds of speed bag an/or floor to ceiling bag

pushups/situps at the end, also sometimes weights, but I do roadwork and other weights outside of the boxing gym so I don't always do weights.

I find this type of workout fairly tough and very addictive, I have never enjoyed training for anything so much. I also find in interesting that everyone in my gym does almost everything in rounds, which wasn't obvious when I first went there to observe. I am obviously very aware of the bell now, but it's easy to miss if you aren't listening for it.

anyways, I was hoping this would generate some discussion from people who box/have boxed and maybe others could post their routines.

a few idosyncratic things my trainer has pointed out:

- I throw the ugliest right hook ever. the hook was the hardest punch for me to learn and I still have to work on it a lot.

- I have had an excellent left cross since day one (I fight southpaw)

- when I have told my friends I've been training, they almost always throw a right hook. the only exception is my wife, who faked a jab then threw an uppercut.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: boxing training

A wife who fakes you out? Awesome!

Are you a lefty, or do you just prefer strong-side forward?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:15 PM

How much do you guys spar? How hard do you go?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:31 PM

blarg - lefty

danvh - I am still pretty new so I haven't really sparred except with my trainer. at gleason's, there are always people sparring and you can basically spar as much as you want. as a general rule people will take it easy, but the skill/experience range is wide and you can in general find someone to go as hard as you want to.

two other things I've noticed:

- we are all saying "guys", but I am surprised at the number of women who train. the guy who trained hillary swank for million dollar baby, hector roca, is a trainer there.

- a large majority of people that train there are in very, very, very good shape.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:58 AM

3 minute rounds?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:32 PM

bump, because I am sparring pretty regularly now and going at it pretty hard, at least with a few people. I thought I might get sick of the workout or lose interest, but I absolutely love the training and sparring is pretty exhilirating. definitely a whole other level in terms of adrenaline and getting tired.

been training 3-4 days/week with my trainer, and lifting on the other days. so far, no bad side effects from training/sparring. I'm definitely in the best shape of my life, feels great.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- we are all saying "guys", but I am surprised at the number of women who train. the guy who trained hillary swank for million dollar baby, hector roca, is a trainer there.

[/ QUOTE ]

flying to the wsop last year i sat next to Ann Wolfe. i didnt know who she was. she struck up a conversation w/ me and we talked for about an hour. ann said she was flying to vegas for a fight i belive.

she was very mild-mannered but i was starting to understand she was a well known boxer. she told a bit about her history that she homeless at one point, was hit by car while walking, and an acquaintance bought her a gym to run. she said a i asked her if she ever fought Laila Ali, my only point of reference for women's boxing. she said she had tried for some time but ali would not because ali didnt want the loss on her record. i kind of took her comments w/ a grain of salt after that.

i looked her up the next time i was by a computer and discovered how good and well-known she is in the boxing community. btw since then Mike Tyson has said that he wants to fight Ann (which will never materialize im sure).
Old 11-16-2007, 07:48 PM

Q: Should I stay away from boxing if I broke my 5th metacarpal (Boxer's fracture) a few years ago?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 PM

Sounds great turnip.

I'm gonna do some mma (well, bjj + probably some kickboxing) once my back heals. I hope I can handle 3 workouts a week + lifting 3 days a week at my age (32). I also hope the gym won't be filled with younger studs that will laugh while they pummel me into the ground while the hot girls watch (there's surprisingly many girls in the classes).
Old 11-16-2007, 09:48 PM

that sounds cool wolf, you should be fine if you are pretty careful and wear the appropriate safety gear when sparring. at my gym there are lots of young people, but also a fair amount of middle aged guys who are mostly tough as nails.

bwana - cool story.