Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM

Default 20/40 Stud HI Commerce 5th street, I don\'t know how to play this game

The 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] brings in, a ton of horrific low black cards from 2-9 fold to me like 2 or 3 from the BI with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) where I complete. Old asian guy wearing weird cowboy clothes that look like he is from Montana but wishes he was from Texas calls with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] next guy folds, BI folds. No read on villain other than he is old and this is only 20/40 so he is less likely to be a very aggressive player, but he is asian and wearing cowboy clothes so I can't be sure.

4th I catch some blank, he catches a black King and check calls.

5th I catch Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], he catches an offsuit 5 and check/raises. I fold now?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Stud HI Commerce 5th street, I don\'t know how to play this g

The pot's too big for that, doncha think?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:33 PM

Yeah that is basically my question, I have no clue if the pot is too big or too small. If he has Aces up I have 1 out plus the backdoor stuff, if he has Aces I'm supposed to be calling I assume.

BTW it's $3 ante/$5 BI if it matters.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Stud HI Commerce 5th street, I don\'t know how to play this game

I would consider a fold since you from what I assume havn't played to many hands with the villain and don't know any of his tendencies yet. With so many low cards out you would think he has a legitimate hand and it does look like a good spot to slowplay aces. Maybe two pair, hard to see trips or a J 10. But on the other hand I think looking him up if his board doesn't turn too scary so you have some sort of read and can still improve is not too bad a play either. However, the pots not TOO big to where you should feel committed if you think your behind . If you want to save bets or call to gain info (assuming you dont make crying calls like this every time afterward), I would say both are decent options.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Stud HI Commerce 5th street, I don\'t know how to play this game

[ QUOTE ]
5th I catch Q, he catches an offsuit 5 and check/raises. I fold now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup....
Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 PM

Hi Andy,

Not that you and I have never had a spirited debate or two......

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But.... what do you consider a small pot?

There is about 4.5 BB in the pot at time of raise... and going to cost 3 more big bets to most likely show a loser?

You glad I'm back still? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Regards,

CJ
Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 PM

So he's getting 2.5:1 to call down, and I think that hero is actually ahead a fair amount of the time.

Of course I'm glad you're back.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:02 AM

I'm not folding 5th. I give him credit for aces and play the rest of the hand accordingly.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Hi,

If you are definately giving him credit for Aces then a fold is definately in order..

1)Why chase him down with dead cards and you are behind?
2)If you put him on buried Aces... the hand would be easier to play than split!
3)The best hope hero has is his backdoor draws and he is getting no where near the right price to draw them.

Personally, I wouldn't have played the hand as hero did.. as it got him in this situation in the first place, but that is a different topic.

Regards,

CJ
Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 PM

The 20/40 at commerce plays VERY LAG. Without a specific read you have to call this down at least until his board gets intimidating. There is a very good chance that you are ahead now and the only card a person could have caught on 4th to make me fold here without a read is an Ace.