Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if it is a "coinflip", "race", or "50/50" situation, that is if someone has outs, then they mustn't fold their hand, LDO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't this the truth. Last Saturday for instance: battle of the blinds, late in a tourney. I call in SB, BB checks. Flop is 3 hearts, not connected; I check with two black overs, BB checks. Turn is a black 3, I go all in and we've got similar chipstacks. Old WW2 vet thinks about it and thinks about it then finally calls with a 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. River pairs one of my cards... but gives him the flush. "I knew that heart was gonna come".

[/ QUOTE ]

he just read your soul and knew his pair was good.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think people are considering two different types of jackpots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why'd you have to ruin the fun? I wanted to see how long it was going to take people to realize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that long. I said "Red Rock" which means bad beat, not high hand. Second, I said "check behind." Who in their right mind is going to fold a jackpot hand on the river for one bet?

Show's over. Move along. Nothing to see here.

CJ
Old 11-16-2007, 01:50 PM

I've myself said some pretty idiotic things back when I was just learning the rules of poker. I remember I once told my friend that I thought AKs was better than AA cuz it can make more nut flushes and straights.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:22 AM

River action on a 7895A board with no flush possible. First to act goes all-in, next guy calls with money behind, button calls with money behind.
First guy shows 2 pair, next guy shows a 6 for the straight, button flips up TJ for the immortal nuts. When asked why she didn't raise, she states "He wouldn't call."
Old 11-17-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Was at a 1-2 nl game at T.I. a month ago and was in a hand with a pretty tight player. He bets half the pot, I call with nut flush and gutshot draw. Turn is a blank, he pushes about 1.5 of the pot, I flash my cards (frustration at the night of futility I was enjoying) and muck.

lol...you crackhead... you are only 20% to flush out on the river

Guy next to me says "good fold, you had about a 20% chance of making the flush" I say "I think it is closer to 25% but whatever" "no, no" he says "I read it in several books, with one card to go you only have 20%" I say "well, there are 4 suits, right? and 1/4 is 25% right??!!!" "Well, yes, I don't know the exact math behind it, but this has been proven by simulations and these are facts from people like Doyle Brunson" To this day I don't know if he was trying to put on the dumb guy act which I do sometimes or if he really believed it. He kept spouting facts and figures the whole night, but he never made money nor did he bust out so I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, you are leveling right? If not, he was right, you were wrong. There are 9 outs (not 13.. there are four of your suit gone) with 46 cards remaining. It's actually LESS than 20%, it's about 19.5%.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:24 PM

Showdown, player shows AQ for TPTK.

Other player lectures first player saying he's lost so much
with AQ it's taken him 30 years to learn to fold AQ before the flop.
Then he shows his KQ loser.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
button flips up TJ for the immortal nuts. When asked why she didn't raise, she states "He wouldn't call."

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better, last action smooth call with the nuts and say,
"I was afraid of getting check raised".
Old 11-17-2007, 05:22 PM

From some 50 something lady at the Commerce 4/8

After I raised preflop with AK, hit TPTK, then was sucked out by a retard:

"that's what you get for raising preflop with a drawing hand".

????

I try to sit at her table whenever she's around now.

AB
Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"What could I do? I was pot committed!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I hear that too. Man, I love TV poker. Has made some great poker players! (to play against)

I heard the same line from a guy heads up (final 2) in a home tournament. He called an all in bet on the turn with 4 high, no pair no draw no potential for a split pot with a strong hand on the board. His reasoning? He was "pot committed".

[/ QUOTE ]

How does someone get pot committed pre flop with either 4-3 or 4-2? Unless his M (for you Harrington readers) was like, 2... that's probably in itself the worst strat. ever.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"What could I do? I was pot committed!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I hear that too. Man, I love TV poker. Has made some great poker players! (to play against)

I heard the same line from a guy heads up (final 2) in a home tournament. He called an all in bet on the turn with 4 high, no pair no draw no potential for a split pot with a strong hand on the board. His reasoning? He was "pot committed".

[/ QUOTE ]

How does someone get pot committed pre flop with either 4-3 or 4-2? Unless his M (for you Harrington readers) was like, 2... that's probably in itself the worst strat. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he wasn't committed before the turn, duh. He was playin poker!