Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Distinctions between Millionaires and the Middle Class

[ QUOTE ]
Define long-term?

I have never understood trying to get rich by 50. By then you are too old to really enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's better than the alternative: Not being rich by 50. And FYI, 50 isn't even close to being "too old to enjoy wealth." wtf?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Define long-term?

I have never understood trying to get rich by 50. By then you are too old to really enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd. 50 isn't really that old anymore as people are living longer, healthier then ever before. Many people begin to truly enjoy a great deal of freedom in life for the first time at this age as its around the time their kids are off in college and they have the ability to travel and explore on their own or with their spouse. And if you aren't the marrying type then visit a place like Newport Beach where you have tons of rich 50+ year olds partying with good looking 20 and 30 year old girls every night.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And FYI, 50 isn't even close to being "too old to enjoy wealth." wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm 34 now. I workout daily and am in much better shape than the average yet I can feel a major difference from when I was a 20-something. I'm looking at a anti-ageing medical centre in Vegas as an option but I don't expect to have 3/4 the physical energy that I have now when I'm in my 50s. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And FYI, 50 isn't even close to being "too old to enjoy wealth." wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm 34 now. I workout daily and am in much better shape than the average yet I can feel a major difference from when I was a 20-something. I'm looking at a anti-ageing medical centre in Vegas as an option but I don't expect to have 3/4 the physical energy that I have now when I'm in my 50s. I hope I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Genetics counts for a lot but diet, excercise and rest are all important components. I am 52 and I believe I could kick the [censored] out of my 25 year old self!!! To tell you the truth my life is much less stressful and is more enjoyable then when I was in my 20's. Nothing beats youth though, you just have to make the best of what you have.

The 9.8% millionaire figure is way off and if you take net worth exclusive of personal residence you would find millionaires are not as prevelant as you think, although rich these days is probably at least $10 million net worth. The estimates of net worth of others is always way over stated. People never know for sure what percent of an asset one owns, how much debt and what the market value is. Often people pile up a lot of debt to own zero cash flow deals and greatly over estimate values. When times get tough they find they really are worth very little.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Define long-term?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd. 50 isn't really that old anymore as people are living longer, healthier then ever before. Many people begin to truly enjoy a great deal of freedom in life for the first time at this age as its around the time their kids are off in college and they have the ability to travel and explore on their own or with their spouse. And if you aren't the marrying type then visit a place like Newport Beach where you have tons of rich 50+ year olds partying with good looking 20 and 30 year old girls every night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Werd.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:24 PM

The discussion of millionares like they're some exclusive club or something is laughable.

Who gives a [censored].
Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The discussion of millionares like they're some exclusive club or something is laughable.

Who gives a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

non-millionaires
Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Who gives a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I think millionaire is now a phrase that means financially independent and in the upper 2% or so American households. I think many people who are not financially independent are striving for an asset base that can support them and allow them freedom to do what they want. I feel this book give good concepts in to not only the thought process but the concept that one also has to have strong relationships and protect their health while also striving to help those less fortunate. I think the better you can program your mind to think right the more ready you will be when opportunity presents itself.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while also striving to help those less fortunate

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious of how the book argues that helping those less fortunate helps someone achieve wealth?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
while also striving to help those less fortunate

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious of how the book argues that helping those less fortunate helps someone achieve wealth?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you feel there is abundance in the world and in your life it frees you up to be more succesful. Having purpose also makes you more productive. It seems like a good concept to me.