Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes

Old 08-01-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Does poker consume your life?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker emo posts are the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, even though i wrote it. i bet ud be surprised to know who i am

[/ QUOTE ]

tell me then

It's cool we all make emo posts, myself DEFINITELY included

[/ QUOTE ]

thats cuz ur an emo.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 AM

I spend most of my free time parasailing and working out, so this isn't a problem for me.

However, before my current fitness regime, I would say I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing and thinking about poker.

I'm definitely glad to have changed my ways. Now, when I hit the beach the ladies get to see this:

Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 AM

lol
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 AM

hahaha
Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 AM

This is quite contradicting but understandable.
The thing about poker is Mainly the reason most people choose this as their main way of life,is because of the freedom.
Many people hate the fact working 9 - 5,under a boss,being controlled pretty much,very few corporate jobs are fulfilling,Based on the person of course.
Being able to make such money in poker is a blessing,cause as mentioned you have More options within your time that many dont have. Make the money but dont let the money make you.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
19 year old with a quarter million clicking a mouse?

my heart BLEEDS FOR YOU

[/ QUOTE ]

Money only seems the key to hapiness when you don't have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

depp stuff there g2cu
i guess i canīt understand it cause iīm a ssnlgrinder i donīt even know why iīm posting in this [censored] forum
Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 PM

1. Buy an alarm clock.
2. Set if for 2 hours when you start.
3. When it goes off, no more poker for the day.

You can make a pretty god damn good amount of money playing 2 hours a day at decent limits.

Then you just don't play for the rest of the day. And if this 2 hrs is before your bonehead bad play, you finish the day up most of the time and life is sweet for the rest of the day.

That's what I do (tho not high stakes yet, still good money tho - but not 275K you BASTARD! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

P.S. I hope you are smart enough to withdraw like 150k, invest it and consider it not part of your roll anymore. This will give you a very nice head start to financial security for the rest of your life (and don't believe that there is no way you can bust it all one day, unless it is more than like 50 buy-ins, in which case, you can withdraw and invest [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )

[ QUOTE ]
If you quit poker today and invested all of your money, when you retire at 65ish you will have an obscene amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. Compound interest will turn this into a SICK amount of money. I doubt you will really grasp this unfortunately. Hopefully you get at least a part of it.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Didn't have a life to be consumed in the first place.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a low mid stakes grinder who makes in the neighborhood of 45k a year. However, I am in school getting my degree. Poker does consume my life but, I feel that it is benefiting me so much more than not and I make 1/10 what you make. My day looks a lot like yours only I have a lot of GF time packed in their. I probably play in the neighborhood of 20 hours a week. You have to look at poker objectively and as a gift. I look at many of my friends who work 30-40 hour weeks and are full time students and make a week what I make on a given night. Plus they have student loans out the ass. Their lives are a grind. We grind for fun.

You have so much more money than 99.99999999% of people at your age. This means you can do 99.9999999% more than most your age. You can go on any vacation you want. You can buy a very nice home and buy cars like its nothing. If you quit poker today and invested all of your money, when you retire at 65ish you will have an obscene amount.

I think the key is to enjoy the life you have and look at what you have done for yourself. You have so many more options than almost anyone at your age. So basically what Im saying is poker consuming your life is not a bad thing unless you think it is. If you think its a bad thing...quit and take a tour of the world; then buy a house. Like any job poker requires sacrifice. Giving up a weekend of binge drinking in order to better yourself financially cant be a bad thing can it?

Enjoy yourself, enjoy your money and if you are no longer enjoying poker...stop and buy [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same. Gl man,
Old 08-01-2007, 11:37 PM

Put some limits in your life
I think you should keep playing poker since you do it very well and that makes you win some good money.
Money is great!

However, as you said, you're becoming a nerd. You could be making out with lots of girls, drinking with ur friends while u were sitting behind a screen clicking on check raise or fold buttons.

Put some limits ... Play for 3 hours/day or whatever limits you choose.
This way you will always play your best, keep having an easy and good income and your social life would be the same.

thats what i think u should do.