Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Don\'t want to think about poker when I\'m not playing

I've been playing for a long time by internet standards (4 years) and I have been successful.

I'm in a very bad 3 month break even stretch right now. One thing that has been bothering me is that the negative thoughts and feelings caused by this incredibly frustrating run are not going away after I stop playing.

I think about poker when I go to sleep, I think about how much I should be up this year, and I worry about things like cashouts and legislation and lost checks in the mail and what site to play on and so on. Also I think about other people's results, people who are earning more, and feel inferior, while reading about other people's losses or people busting makes me feel good about myself. This is probably a bad thing.

How do i stop worrying about things I can't control? How do I learn to say "it's only money" and REALLY believe it?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Don\'t want to think about poker when I\'m not playing

Poker is a selfish game, just worry about yourself. BTW I think about poker all day and I find myself applying it to my everday life, and also saying stupid things like "ship it" to people. It doesnt bother me though, break even stretches are standards, and u will forget about them when u start winning again.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:05 PM

You need to get your stress levels down. Get some exercise and maybe a massage. Set up goals for yourself so you can see your progress and derive pleasure from that instead of from other peoples misery. And if your having a bad strech maybe your goals shouldnt be all about BB/100 but about controlling yourself and focusing on areas of your life where improving is easy.
The bad feeling your carrying around is real in the sense that it is stress hormones in your system. You need to get these out.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:17 PM

It is right and natural to think have a three month flat period affect your thoughts. A dry spell like that should be a source for worry.

The problem seems to be,

[ QUOTE ]
I worry about things like cashouts and legislation and lost checks in the mail and what site to play on and so on. Also I think about other people's results, people who are earning more, and feel inferior, while reading about other people's losses or people busting makes me feel good about myself

[/ QUOTE ]

...that the focus of your worry is on things which are beyond your control. Although its very natural for a competitive, driven person to examine his results in comparison to others such mental effort doesn't help turn your results around.

If you busy yourself with review, strategy considerations, and even the play and learning of new games it may reinvigorate your play in your primary area (short handed limit hold 'em?).

Though you're probably doing this already, really pore through sessions in PT. Spend a couple days and reread some of the poker titles which helped you the most. Take a brief respite from play and invest the time in review/study.

Also, consider moving down. Limit hold 'em games aren't getting softer and easier. If you're in a rough patch go for the low hanging fruit and try to book a couple of wins by playing lesser competition. This might include a little live play.

Best of luck.