Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group One: 1 vs 16
Sin City 133 95.00%
Howard the Duck 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Player Most Likely To Call Short Stack All-in.

Tournament: short stack goes all-in (less than 15 big blinds). Money still far off. With, all things being equal, which player is most likely to call that bet?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Player Most Likely To Call Short Stack All-in.

in what position does he move in? Obv if it's UTG it's more likely someone will call with a good hand the BB is of course more likely to call this bet than any other individual player. The precise stacks sizes also make a huge difference here.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:59 PM

Obviously the person with the good hand. Duh.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:08 PM

I think you just answered your own question.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously the person with the good hand. Duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good hand is in isolaton duh.

And nothing has been stipulated about the all in's hand duh.

And also the good hand must be present duh.

There is always a big blind by definition and table chip leader but there need not be anyone sitting with a good hand or another short stack...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:22 AM

the answer is a desperate random player short stacked in the BB with a good hand....obv
Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the answer is a desperate random player short stacked in the BB with a good hand....obv

[/ QUOTE ]

If I ask you who was the greatest US civil war general and you tell me that Alexander the Great was the greatest general of the ancient world then you have not answered the question have you?

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2007, 12:50 AM

i would probably say the big stack is the most likely to call an all in. it depends on structure, but when the average player gets ahold of chips he starts to make more calls willing to race for smaller amounts of chips. he has a wider range of hands that he is willing to call, unlike a lot of other players who might still be crippled.

In Poker theory at the end of the book, Sklansky comes up with an analysis as to why the chipleader on day one never wins the ME. he says that players that have a lot of chips early have put in a lot of money in more marginal situations and have survived. these players have more "gamble" than the average tournament player (ahem dimitri nobles ahem).

the op's post is pretty vague, and as with a lot of poker hands, it is all situational.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 AM

OP I'd assume you've been been playing at least as long as your registration date... I'm sure you're able to make a good case for each of the above. As it stands this is half a question...

In a vaccuum, though, 15bb is relatively short but not exactly critical condition. I'd imagine with the money being a ways away, open pushing in early to mid position for 15bb represents a fairly decent hand unless the antes are crazy. But again, there's so much missing here it's hard to really evaluate this and give a definite answer.

If this big stack has only 30bb, is he really more likely to to call that push with KQ than would, say, a BB with 5bb left and holding A9s? But if the big stack has 65bb and TT that's a different matter... see what I mean? You could put any of your choices in situations where any of them would be mostly likely to call.

Since we're not close to the bubble, there's no reason for the big stack to make careless loose calls anyway. Being the big stack doesn't mean you start trying to eliminate everyone yourself, its about keeping pressure on your opponents. Making random calls just because you're deep and a shorty pushes is pointless when you're a ways out of the money.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 AM

Considering we basically don't have any information, I would have to pick random player with good hand at this point. My reasoning is that the table chip leader may have plenty of chips, but he doesn't have to CALL a player's all in with a mediocre or less holding. The BB wouldn't feel compelled to call. A desperate short stack would rather raise with a marginal holding than call. So, at this point I would say the random good hand.

Maybe you're trying to prove that shoving with 15bb, not too close to the money bubble is a good idea in this spot because you won't run into the random good hands too often? Of course, depending on the players, if you do this too often, they'll open their calling ranges. 15bb is a weird stack to have though. I think many people wait for a good hand with this size stack, get down below 10bb, and push with marginal holdings. They probably have the same fold equity either way, so if they push and are called, in both situations they have a good chance to bust out with their marginal holding. But, when you win with 15bb versus with 8bb, you're in better contention I suppose.