Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What cardrooms comes to mind when you think B&M
I have small local mini-cardrooms in my state 30 29.70%
My buddy vinnie or Guido's house 1 0.99%
Tropicana,Sands,Taj Mahal 11 10.89%
Wynn, Mirage, Bellagio 54 53.47%
Oldschool Binions 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Question 41

Next question please...
Old 08-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Donkey Test

5/10 NL cash game. UTG has $1,300. SB has $1,000. The cutoff seat has $70. You have $1,500 and are on the Button.

UTG is a mediocre pro. He plays about 17% of his hands and raises about 4% of them. He is a fairly aggressive post flop. He knows you are a good player.

The small blind is new to the game, plays way too many hands, calls re-raises with very marginal hands, and plays very poorly.

UTG raises to $40. The cutoff calls $40. You re-raise to $120. The SB calls $120. UTG calls, and the cutoff calls all-in for $70 total.

Flop:
6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks. UTG checks. You check.

Turn:
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG bets $160 into the $480 pot. You call. SB folds.

River:
K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG bets $350 into the $800 pot.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:11 PM

AK fits nicely. He's a tightwad, so might not 4bet it preflop. With the drawy flop, he's not checking a set, 2pr or overpair, for sure. He could check overs against multiple opponents, especially since we took the initiative preflop.

The draw hands don't make sense. Ax clubs would likely semibluff, and wouldn't bet this river if he respects us. 8c9c is much less likely to play this way (and wouldn't have raised and called pre)
Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Question 5

I think I would call. Leaves me still green mzone if I lose, and good chance of a winning a 50/50 seeing how everyone folded (no aces in hands?)
Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 PM

I also voted AK. He's raising 4% of hands, which means probably less than 4% UTG. Pokerstove tells us that the top 4% of hands is 99+,AQs+,AKo, so we're probably looking at something in that. AK fits nicely, as gedanken says, although he'd be pretty mediocre indeed to bet so little on the river after we re-raised pre-flop and called a substantial turn bet.

Also, AA, KK or a set certainly would have bet the flop into a multi-way pot with straight and flush draws on the board.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Question 43

Tournament. Blinds are 300-600 with 75 antes. 9 handed.

SB is a well known tourney pro and has 60,000 chips. A weak tight player UTG with 100,000 chips limps and SB completes. Big blind with 12,000 chips checks.

Flop:
8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Blinds to UTG who bets 3,000. SB calls and the BB min check raises to 6,000. UTG re-raises to 12,000. After long consideration SB calls, and the big blind calls all-in.

Turn:
K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks. UTG checks.

River:
3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets 10,000 into the 40,000 chip pot. UTG quickly calls.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Question 43

OK, let's give this a shot.

Option 1 is out, since a tourney pro would not fail to re-raise AA.

Option 3 is out, since a weak-tight player would not make a pot-sized flop bet on a flush draw.

Option 4 is out, since BB's min-check raise with a flush draw doesn't make any sense.

Therefore, I take option two.

SB is consistent with a FD preflop, completing from the SB. And on the flop, calling a PSB from a weak-tight player, and accepting ~4-1 odds in a raised pot. And checking the turn. And betting the river, as much as he thought he could get out of UTG.

BB is consistent with 6 3--checking pre-flop and check raising the flop.

And UTG is more or less consistent with AA. A weak-tight player could limp in from EP, and the PSB makes sense.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:17 PM

huh, I don't like weak-tighty limping UTG --sounds out of character. (safe play is raise, not limp)

I'd buy tourney pro in SB trapping with AA pre sometimes, but not on flop and turn. (1 is out)

Agree that min-checkraise is the last thing a draw would do here. (4 is out)

"weak" UTG does not bet/reraise a draw here either. (3 is out)

sb pro with a set loves this river if UTG might be on a spade draw. He's shoving, not dinky value bet. (3 is out, again)

so I don't like 2, really, but it's better than the others.

SB consideration is him figuring out his pot odds (9000 to 27000?) and chances of seeing 2 cards (weak/tighty? not bad), and deciding it's a marginal call with some implied odds. really marginal, unless he's got more outs.

Took me a bit to figure out these last two questions. I think the testmaker is trying to find out how good we are at parsing through a complex hand! not telling us "our" hand makes it pretty disorienting.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 PM

It was a toss-up between 2 and 3 for me and I'm still not sure. I can't see BB with an M of 12 just checking 99+ PF...UTG limping with AA isn't safe (as gendaken pointed out)... I opted for 3 as I think if UTG had A-K suited, he might limp pre-flop and bet the pot after 2 checks to see if the pot could be taken down right away...and if not, he's got 2 overcards plus the FD...but then the re-raise to 12 makes no sense...grrr....it DOES however fit with the river value bet from the sb (who either made a full house or quads) and the quick call (but not raise) from UTG with the nut flush. Just my thoughts here... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2007, 12:46 PM

It seems to me that some of the answers would be the "testers choice", since alternatives to the said "corrct answers" are so viable. This makes me wonder on the validity of the test in the first place. There have been only a couple of questions like this so far, but anytime 2+2 is split on an answer, it makes me wonder. As far as this Q goes, I had originally chosen option 3, but after reading the above expert responses (good job!) I change my mind to 2, and hopefully have learned something.