Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 01:36 AM

Default ugly flop, new to nl

Been away from poker for many months and prior to that I was strictly a limit player, but now I am trying to learn a bit about NL

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $10.00
BB: $5.90
Hero (UTG): $7.85
UTG+1: $22.50
MP1: $14.35
MP2: $10.15
CO: $10.95
BTN: $18.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.30</font>, 5 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $0.50</font>, BB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($1.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.60</font>, Hero calls $0.60, SB calls $0.60

Turn: ($3.30) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, SB calls $2.00, BB calls $2.00

River: ($9.30) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

I dont have much exp under my belt at this level yet, but I havent seen a 3-bet preflop very often that wasnt top hand, so I decided preflop to try for some trickery by only calling. I think a pot raise here is probably a better play.

The flop is pretty crappy for me and this is where I falter in NL. I dont know really what to do. I figure I got two options. Push now and hope to fold out the draws. Call and push turn on non A/J/club.

The turn I throw out a feeler bet, when I got called by both I figured I was done, hence my check on river.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: ugly flop, new to nl

I believe you should have raised on the flop. You're giving them good pot odds if they're drawing to a flush. /my2cents
Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 AM

my thoughts:

preflop, I reraise. You want to hopefully isolate to one player, and if not, you definetly want to try and get it all in preflop, so that you don't have to make these decisions post flop. I really don't like your "I haven't seen a 3bet preflop very often that wasn't top hand". So you only reraise preflop with AA? Really? KK is prime candidate, as is AK suited often

On the flop, a call is kind of meh, really you're WAY ahead of everything except AJ, and he could be betting here with a lot of other hands as well, so I think I raise flop, weaker hands like AK, AQ, KQ, KT, etc... will sitll probably call, and if he reraises on you you know you're probably behind

lastly, feeler bets make no sense. If you think you're behind, check and get a free card, the ace definetly didn't help you, but it could've easily helped them. The only thing that will happen on your $2 bet is that worse hands will fold, and better hands will call/raise
Old 07-21-2007, 02:01 AM

I'm new here, so hello everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I raise to $.40 pre-flop. I re-raise flop to $2.40. Turn is ugly and I stop my betting there.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:05 AM

raise flop , check turn , c/f riv ...bleh
Old 07-21-2007, 02:08 AM

calling preflop is OK but i like a 4-bet more.

flop you absolutely have to raise. every time. you are giving insane odds to the SB to call with a large range and BB could very easily be blocking to see a turn. You need to milk BB for money and get SB out of there. IF either ends up with AJ so be it, but it is more likely SB has TT QQ AA AK or anything else you dominate and will stack right here. IF they all fold then you probably wouldn't have made any more by trapping with top set on such a huge board. Raise every time!

turn no reason to bet. It is very possible that you will get shoved on by a jack where you could have seen a reasonably priced river with the possibility of stacking at least one of them. giving another card to the flush draw is lame but you got yourself there by calling the flop.

as played auto check river. no value in betting as many check raise a flush here trying to get a jack to bet.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:14 AM

I raise 4bb+1 per limper preflop. I'd 4-bet preflop, but cold calling is okay if you're agressive post flop. I'd raise flop to $1.8 to $2 especially with the club draw out. Turn is okay though I would bet more again because of the draw. River card sucks so checking is fine.