Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Meeting Girlfriends Parents/Playing Poker Summer Job

I usually respond with "Just hustlin'"
Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understanding what is so bad about just saying you are going to be playing poker for the summer, and that you make good money at it. It's your girlfriend's parents, who really gives a [censored] what they think. If they are gonna run your girl's life because they don't like what you do, then you probably need a new girl anyway. It is my feeling that any girl that really cares about you will support you no matter what. She knows how much money you are bringing in, I am sure she appreciates all the money you spend on her. If the parents don't like it, [censored] em, you aren't sleeping with them anyway.

In closing, don't be a pussy and man up for your beliefs. Better to find out about judgmental [censored] for parents sooner rather than later.

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%

If her parents are the type of folk that you feel you have to lie about your life to make them happy, then really your life is going to suck if you continue seeing the girl.

Also poker is a bit more mainstream now then it was say 5 years ago.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:49 PM

You gotta tell the truth. It helps to have your gf go to bat for you. If her parents are the closed-minded type who hear poker and think "Poker=bad" then have her tell them the skill involved, that you work really hard at it, blah blah blah. Preferably BEFORE you meet them.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:01 PM

yea, easy answer is make sure this isn't the first time they're hearing you play poker for a living
Old 06-21-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless op's gf doesn't care about what her parents think of him (which may be true but probably isn't), this is bad advice. also, would you dump a girl b/c you didn't like her parents?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that what her parents think about you should not change the way she feels about you, if it does, then better to cut your losses. As for myself I wouldn't dump a girl because I didn't like her parents. I would dump a girl if her parents didn't like me, and that affected the way that she was with me. But it comes down to the girl, and not to the parents.

C-Dog
Old 06-22-2007, 12:35 AM

"I'm studying Bayes' theorem, specifically conditional probability as it relates to multiple variables and large distributions under multiple cycles of human decisions."
Old 06-22-2007, 01:03 AM

i think it's a bit arrogant to think you should have more influence over your gf than her parents
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 AM

obv this is something you need to figure out with your gf. if you're going to tell them you play poker, which you should imo, have your gf break the news to them first. it's not the parents that you're trying to continue nailing (right?), so focus on making your gf comfortable, not the dad. if i were the gf i'd be more sketched out by lying than anything else.

my gf has been honest w/ her parents from day 1, but asked me not to bring it up with her elderly grandma. fine by me.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who says it's a good idea to tell the truth about the poker is very naive or too open-minded. Most adults will automatically dismiss you if you tell them you play poker for a living. I guess how much you reveal depends on how close a relationship you plan to maintain with the parents.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm certainly in the minority because I'm a poker playing parent. However, he still wouldn't get off easy with me. I can assure you the next question out my mouth would be, "May I see your PT stats, please?"

[/ QUOTE ]

If he asks to see your PT stats and wants to know what you're VP$IP is, then you're in... that's your only hope, hamm.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Have you any other skill that you could pretend you´re giving lessons in? e.g. I gave a few coaching lessons in Chess before I started earning lots more with poker. So, if asked what a summerjob might be, I typically say "doing a bit of chess coaching".

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you say, do not say that... you may as well tell them that you play W.o.W. and are a level 70.