Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Choose what best describes your views on loaning money?
I was fooled by Air Americas hype of their success. 2 6.25%
I knew these guys were losers from day 1. 30 93.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: PokerTracker: The Next Generation (NEW SOFTWARE DISCUSSION)

Q: what's the rough ETA on this project? Of course i understand that if u haven't even started coding it, u won't have a specific date for us, but just ballpark it. Are we talking 3 months, 12 months, 3 years? What?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that annoys the crap out of non-windows users is the amateurish way a parent app's dialog will block access to the parent - can you do anything about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is up to the developer, not an OS limitation. It's just as easy to have the popup form + parent both be accessable as it is to lock the popup form in "on top / you can't do anything until you close this" mode until it's closed.

Sometimes it makes sense to block the parent form from being usable when a popup form is invoked though.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 PM

A self-organizer or something to sort the PAHUD stats; it is a gigantic pain to add more customizable stats and get them to fit around a player in a nice order.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:41 PM

There are some amazing suggestions on here Josh. I'd quote or second some of them but it would just be too long. The one thing that sticks out that would be cool is stats that change with a situation, like on a certain street or in a tourney when a table goes short handed. I trust you guys will make an amazing product. As excited as I am about this, take you're time and do it right because I would rather have it be more functional that to have it sooner.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:16 PM

ha , first get PA HUD to work properly on FTP and then get back at me about future software..
Old 07-14-2007, 11:47 PM

don't know if it's been asked, but will this new and improved pokertracker come with a recurring fee? or will it be a 1 time fee like PAHud and PT currently are?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ha , first get PA HUD to work properly on FTP and then get back at me about future software..

[/ QUOTE ]

works fine for me
Old 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q: what's the rough ETA on this project? Of course i understand that if u haven't even started coding it, u won't have a specific date for us, but just ballpark it. Are we talking 3 months, 12 months, 3 years? What?

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this thread...
And as a software engineer myself...
It's obvious that PT must be redesigned from scratch...
And targeted directly at PO and HM.

Even with several talented engineers...
And understanding that this is ONLY a poker tracker...
That is a minimum 1-2 year project.

After getting back into poker...
And buying the latest version of PT 2 months ago...
I was ** SHOCKED ** that is was virtually the same product I bought 3 years ago.

It's really like something out of the 50s...
And looks great with a lava lamp.

If they blink and just try to tweak it...
PT is dead... if it's not already waaaaay too late.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Request in future for the new HUD, perhaps a more professional approach for communicating a product roadmap and managing expectations.

For example an exert from PokerAce forums May 15 when asked when Everest support was coming:-

"I HAVE NOT HAD A CHANCE TO LOOK INTO EVEREST SUPPORT. PLEASE STOP ASKING FOR ESTIMATES AS TO WHEN IT WILL BE AVAILABLE. IT WILL BE AT LEAST A MONTH FROM THE DATE OF THIS POST, PERHAPS LONGER."

No update until this, 13 July:

"I haven't had a change to look into this yet, how can you say it isn't coming?"

So perhaps to avoid endless posts on your forums and frustrated replies from the developer, how about posting some kind of product roadmap telling people what new sites will be supported in what order?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than spend time researching each site that is asked about, then coming up with a rough estimate of how long it will take to add support, I simply do all the work at once. Unfortunately, this means I cannot make promises as to whether a site can or will be added and when it will be available. Also, bug fixes and trying my best to make sure existing features are working properly get priority over new features.

Read the entire thread in question and you'll see why I gave the response I did.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this thread...
And as a software engineer myself...
It's obvious that PT must be redesigned from scratch...
And targeted directly at PO and HM.

Even with several talented engineers...
And understanding that this is ONLY a poker tracker...
That is a minimum 1-2 year project.

After getting back into poker...
And buying the latest version of PT 2 months ago...
I was ** SHOCKED ** that is was virtually the same product I bought 3 years ago.

It's really like something out of the 50s...
And looks great with a lava lamp.

If they blink and just try to tweak it...
PT is dead... if it's not already waaaaay too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to keep in mind that a lot of code has already been written. Not everything will be rebuilt from scratch. A lot of lessons learned from the current PT and PA Hud software will save an enormous amount of time.

Also, while actual coding is still in its earlier phases, a lot of the design work has already been done for quite a while. This isn't a project that just popped up. Discussion and design as well as some coding began well over 6 months ago. Design is the hard part. Implementation is easier. Considering I have intimate knowledge in regards to most of the sites PT currently supports, implementation shouldn't take long.

It's not unreasonable to expect beta versions as early as 3 months. I hope for a stable release before the end of the year.

I appreciate every suggestion that we are getting. The further this project goes, the more I'm confident that every PT and PA Hud user and all potential users will be thrilled with the next generation.