Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter : \"Jews need to be perfected\", i.e. become Christians

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We've already done this thread. This isn't anything special. Every religion believes that everyone else should be converted to their religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but how many religions are as successful at converting people as the ACists at 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]

They hav'nt converted me. Then again; neither has religion.

.... The audio was played on the Howard Stern Show to which Howard responded "what a c***t." An appropriate response I felt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from Mr "Hill Street Jews" LOL
Old 10-24-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

NO much worse, Judaism, proposes that gentiles (and all women) are born imperfect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? How is this any different than Muslims who believe all non-muslims are infidels? Or Christians who tried to "save the souls" of all non Christians, since obviously they were horrible people who were going to hell unless they converted.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:47 PM

...its not only not "much worse" or even "any different", its a flat out incorrect statement regarding various aspects of Judaism.

It has been addressed many times before, but Judaism does not believe that non-Jews are inherently "imperfect" in the Christian sense. Judaism also does not require an individual to be Jewish to reach heaven, for example, and this is one major reason that Judaism is not and has never been a proselytising religion. The religious "separation" inherent in Islam (re infidels) and Christianity ("saving non Christian souls") does not exist in Judaism.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nice (and typical) that a thread about a Christian woman making offensive comments about Jews has, in the space of one page, deteriorated into a Judaism bashing thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm. That's what happens when someone goes "OMG, JEWS ARE BETTER THAN CHRISTIANS!!!!!"
Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

We've already done this thread. This isn't anything special. Every religion believes that everyone else should be converted to their religion.

Jews don't. As a matter of fact they tend to look down on those that have converted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again (as I posted this in the last post re this subject) I dont know where your ideas come from. It is a consistent and universal principle (as well as explicitly addressed in Jewish Law) shared by all major strains of Judaism, that converts are welcomed and embraced fully. It is even forbidden to remind a convert that he/she was once not Jewish (in order not to embarrass the individual).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am Jewish and most of my friends are Jewish. And I am telling you that most of them look down on any Jew not born Jewish. They don't care if it is written in Jewish Law - it is just the way it is. For you to claim otherwise is either dishonest or you truly associate with a different brand of Jew than I do.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? How is this any different than Muslims who believe all non-muslims are infidels? Or Christians who tried to "save the souls" of all non Christians, since obviously they were horrible people who were going to hell unless they converted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jews claim to be the "chosen people" hereditary. This is not the case with other religions.

[ QUOTE ]
nice (and typical) that a thread about a Christian woman making offensive comments about Jews has, in the space of one page, deteriorated into a Judaism bashing thread.

Did you just hear this somewhere and write it down, or have you actually looked into this and done a bit of research?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was said by Christopher Hitchens in a speech you can find on youtube. I believe his research skills on this subject to be adequate enough to take his word. In terms of this becoming a "Judaism bashing thread" in fairness I followed a quote of Coulter being called a C***T with a later post stating a criticism of Judaism.

Religious Jews do need to be perfcted to some degree. They need to stop believing in a "a misogynist, homophobic, racist, infanticidal,
genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully' (Dawkins) as do all religious people including Coulter herself.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jews claim to be the "chosen people" hereditary. This is not the case with other religions.

[ QUOTE ]

Did you just hear this somewhere and write it down, or have you actually looked into this and done a bit of research?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was said by Christopher Hitchens in a speech you can find on youtube. I believe his research skills on this subject to be adequate enough to take his word. In terms of this becoming a "Judaism bashing thread" in fairness I followed a quote of Coulter being called a C***T with a later post stating a criticism of Judaism.

Religious Jews do need to be perfcted to some degree. They need to stop believing in a "a misogynist, homophobic, racist, infanticidal,
genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully' (Dawkins) as do all religious people including Coulter herself.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at Coulter being "religious".
Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this tolerance and diversity if eveyone you disagree with must change to conform to your position?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this tolerance and diversity if eveyone you disagree with must change to conform to your position?

[/ QUOTE ]

im not tolerant of religion that is correct; I am opposed to racism, homophobia, genocide and sexism which can be found in the major organised religions. I do however, respect peoples right to practise religion as long as they do not impose on others; but I have every right not to be tolerant of it.

I never stated that they should "conform to my position". I was simply turning Coulter's statement around on to herself aswell as those she deemed imperfect.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM

I really am not interested in getting into a discussion of this. FWIW I believe that religion is generally harmful and im not religious myself.

Nothing I said implies that "Jews are better than Christians"! I do not believe this and believe that such a comment is meaningless. I was simply replying to a statement that is misleading.

Do I believe that any ancient religion contains stuff that by modern standards is ridiculous? Yes - of course. Its just that this line is not accurate and the major strains of Judaism do not take it to mean what was stated.