Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 PM

Default TheSalche\'s Get Back to High School Shape Journal

My History
When I was a sophomore in High school I was a 6'1", 160 pound twig. That winter I joined the swim team and managed to bulk up a lot and I started to eat a lot more in general, get bigger, etc. But I was in good shape. When I left high school I was 6'2" about 200 pounds. Enter college where I started to drink, etc without ever lifting a weight or going running. I've been spiraling a bit out of control and I'm a bit shy of 240 right now. So I'm going to get myself back into shape. The plan right now obviously involves changing my eating habits and my exercise habits.

New Diet: Consist of a lot of meat, probably for two meals a day. In between I'll be snacking on things like apples, grapes, bananas, carrots w/light dip, salad, etc. I'm going to try to cut cheese out of my diet, cut down on the pizza, cookies, sweets, etc. Also I'm going to switch to diet soda and probably try to even stop drinking that all together. As for drinking, I'm going to set my limit to 20 drinks a week, most of that being light beer & mixed drinks. This is gonna cut my going out frequency to 2 nights a week or so. Another side goal of this is to stop eating out so much, and cooking my own food.

Exercise plan: Weights and running, alternating days. I'm going to go with a Rippletoeish weight lifting program, maybe replacing dead lift with something else. I'll start off doing some lighter jogging and gradually move myself up, maybe doing some HIIT eventually.

First goal: Lose 20 pounds by Christmas. That's about 14 and I think with my weight and if I get committed to the program, about 2 pounds a week shouldn't be a terribly lofty goal. I'm going to try to post once a day with what exercising I did and what my diet for the day consisted of. Words of encouragement and advice are appreciated.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: TheSalche\'s Get Back to High School Shape Journal

[ QUOTE ]

Exercise plan: Weights and running, alternating days. I'm going to go with a Rippletoeish weight lifting program, maybe replacing dead lift with something else. I'll start off doing some lighter jogging and gradually move myself up, maybe doing some HIIT eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]
do you have a specific reason for this, like an injury?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Mostly because I don't know correct form on it, where to start in weight, etc. I've taken a look at some of the websites describing proper form but I'm still not 100% sure about it.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mostly because I don't know correct form on it, where to start in weight, etc. I've taken a look at some of the websites describing proper form but I'm still not 100% sure about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you own Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe? If not, definitely get that.

Few important points:
-Keep lower back arched, not rounded.
-Your arms should be dead, no pulling with your arms. THey just attach the bar to your body.
-Keep the bar close to your shins, they might ride up your shins as well. That is ok.
-Keep a narrower stance than squats, for instance they should probably be just inside the knurling on the bar. Feet pretty much straight forward.
-Hands grip just outside your knees so they can clear the body.
-When you set up and are ready to pull, your head should be looking directly forward. Do not look up, and do not look down. Head looking forward helps you keep your back arched. Never ever turn your head during a deadlift, straight forward only.

I'm not sure of your strength levels, but you can just use the bar at first to see how it feels and practice the movement. Make sure it is elevated off the ground to a height of about the radius of a 45 lb plate. Anything lower and you might be forced to round your back to pick up the thing. Palms should both be facing your body, you won't need an alternate grip until you're lifting much higher weights. The bar should be about an inch or two away from your shins after you bend your knees and get set to pull.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:31 PM

I think you go to UIUC? I might be able to help you out with this depending on schedule. PM me if you are interested. I did Rippetoe/Starr for quite awhile and I think I know the lifts pretty well.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 PM

blackkeys - thanks for the tips, I'll trying asking some more from some of my friends who I know lift. Seems like it is a good exercise and I should probably being doing it.

Josh - Yeah I do go to UIUC. If I need anything I'll pm ya.

So I weighed myself in at 235 this morning, surprising since I thought I would've gained weight from drinking at school for the past month but apparently not.

Foods consumed: 2 small apples, Italian sausage, Chipotle chicken burrito bowl (no beans, no tortilla, no sour cream, had cheese, mild sauce & Tabasco sauce), noodles&co for dinner w/ bowl of chicken noodle soup, small chicken breast and small Caesar salad, 12oz glass of sprite earlier this afternoon. I'll probably eat something before I go to bed.

Didn't have a chance to work out today, probably will run tomorrow. Halo 3 is coming out tonight and I'm leaving shortly to get in line for my copy. I've been trying to get lots of homework done so I can play for a good amount of time tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Update: Weighed myself on Monday and I was 233.4, so I lost a bit of weight just by eating healthier. School is still pretty crazy right now so I haven't had much of a chance to work out or run, but by the end of next week I'll be done with a lot of stuff.

I've been noticing that if I eat more, smaller "meals" throughout the day, although I am never "full" I'm not hungry all the time. I'm learning to curb my appetite and cravings slowly.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:20 AM

thesalche,

Keep up the good work with the progress! I know what you mean about school as it's getting in the way of my body goals as well!

Just keep posting in here and keep giving us updates!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:09 PM

Weekly Update: Got up on the scale and weighed 232.0. So far everything is working out great and I think this week I'll be starting to jog.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weekly Update: Got up on the scale and weighed 232.0. So far everything is working out great and I think this week I'll be starting to jog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it easy/start slow. You are likely to be shocked to find how hard it is to get your butt moving. It will come with time, if you stick with it-- and as long as you don't overdo it.