Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Odd Dual Monitor Situation

My current solution is to call some sort of tech support ... but that won't be able to happen for a few days because I'm going to be busy during the day for a while so I was wondering if any of you guys had any possible solutions here ...

Situation: I have two monitors of different sizes, got the 2nd one a few weeks ago and everything has been running fine, using the new, bigger one as my primary monitor and for the most part keeping my 2nd one off, but I would turn it on and use extended desktop every few days or so.

Two nights ago, during the night, basically something down near my old monitor and pulled out the old monitor's power cable, and the new monitor's DVI cable. In the morning I figured out that the new monitor's DVI cable was out, put it back in and everything was fine.

This morning I turn my computer monitor back on after it being off for the night, use it for a bit, and then all of a sudden the computer reverts to the mode where it can't detect an input signal. I attempt plugging in and out the DVI cables and nothing works. I turn my computer off, turn it back on and the new monitor starts working again, specifically the windows loading screen (black screen w/ windows logo in the middle). Then, before windows boots up it shuts off again. Then I discover that my old monitor had the AV cord pulled out, put that back in and I am now using my old monitor.

I feel like there's some sort of problem in the dual monitor setup, because my primary monitor now (old one) used to be the secondary. How can I try to "restart" this process? Any chance that my new monitor somehow crapped out on me even though it still shows the Windows logo when booting. In fact, both of them do now.

Help!?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Odd Dual Monitor Situation

Step 1: Find/trap/kill the computer gremlin that is randomly pulling monitor cables out of their sockets.

What is the status of your monitors right now? They both show the windows boot screen and then what? Set your new monitor to the primary one again by right-clicking on your desktop > properties > settings tab. Your new monitor has not crapped out if it is showing the boot screen.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:07 PM

They both show the windows boot screen, and then my new one goes to "No Input Signal" and my old one boots up and shows Windows fine. I attempted to change my new one into the primary monitor, and the old screen flashed a few times then did nothing.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Another update - checked my device manager and it only shows one plug and play monitor. Not good.