Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dropped out of school this past semester, and after living at home for a month have decided I'm going to move back to Dallas. I'll be supporting myself, at least for the first 3-4 months, playing low-limit SNGs at $25-30/hr.

Will I kill myself?

Do you have any advice for the next few months in general for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

100nl ftw. you can easily make at least twice as much 8 tabling .5/1

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah but unlike sngs you have to actually be decent at poker
Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar,

I really enjoy your satellite posts. I have been wanting to ask this since I read your satellite post.

When it gets down to crunch time and you are a middle stack in the Cutoff with 2 middle stacks in the blinds, or any ideal steal situation, do you ever make a 3XBB raise, or do you always just push? What I gathered from your post is that you never raise 3XBB, you always open push. Did I understand it correctly?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm at a table with people that 'get' satellites, yes, I always open shove there. If not, a standard raise is better.

[ QUOTE ]
One more question: What do you see happening in the future for online poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the long run, I think we'll see it stabilize at somewhere around the level it's at now. I don't think that the US will place any more barriers around it than there already are, and eventually, I think some of the ones that are there already will be lowered. However, this is all over a 5-10 year+ term.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 PM

Any advice about bonus whoring? I am not sure if this is correct but I remember you advocating or recommending it someone?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which is harder law or poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is going to sound weird, but poker can actually be harder. The legal process for most attorneys is very formulaic, to the point where, say, drafting a contract or representing a client at a small administrative hearing is 99% copying other people's work and 1% actual effort. Furthermore, while playing winning poker is easy enough that you can probably teach an eight year old to do it, playing *high stakes* winning poker is something else. There are lots of people that can turn out to be good lawyers, but very few have the exact skill set (and this includes things like bankroll management and the ability not to care about quickly dropping six figures) that go into a Phil Ivey or Patrick Antonius.

I have no idea why I responded to this seriously BTW [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not a lawyer, but it seems strange to compare Ivey or Antonius to an ordinary lawyer. I am not sure if what the very top level of lawyer does is that formulistic. What the typical grinder poker pro does is different from what Ivey or Antonius does.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:54 PM
 is offline

FT of some WSOP event. You, Ansky, MLG, and Nath are there. All have equal chip stacks of 75BBs. Who wins?

Is it true that some people just "get it" and some don't?

If you had to break these things down, in terms of how important they are to be a long-term winning player, what would the breakdown be? (yes, they're not mutually exclusive, but deal with it --- I guess just rank them or something).
- Mental discipline (i.e., tilt control and control of the gambling instinct)
- mastery of the mathematics of poker
- good poker "feel"
- solid bankroll management
- experience
- having poker buddies to discuss poker with
- hand reading
- confidence
- being ranked on p5s
- being a well-rounded poker player
- poker/work/life balance
- happiness in other aspects of life

Do you find yourself getting bored with poker ever? Honestly, is it something that challeneges/intrigues you equally, decreasingly, or increasingly over the past 4 years?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:15 PM

adanthar,
I didn't drop out of school to play poker. I dropped out of school because I, for whatever reason, had God bless me with great natural intelligence, and even greater laziness/apathy/lack of focus. I nearly failed high school, and I earned 4 credits my first semester at school. Right now, at this point in my life, I'm not where I need to be to make college a good choice for me.

skiier,

i would have to learn to play cash. even 100nl, as sad as that sounds. granted i dont have a meaningful sample size, but based on "that feeling" that adanthar described earlier, i'm just not comfortable playing 100xbb deep.

AE6,

[censored] you. if this was posted in MSNL or something then fine, but this is the MTT forum and I'm better at MTTs than you are.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:18 PM

adanthar,
you have a very different style than many of the typical winning online MTTers...both on this board, and playing in general. What do you think the biggest differences are, and why do you think you developed a different approach?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:20 PM

adanthar,

Grats on your success.

As a lawyer, is this legal: http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/article/8111
Is the sky falling?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:33 PM
 is offline

A legal question for you adanthar...

In a legal sense, can [censored]' Steinbrenner just move the Yankees? Does he have the [censored]' right to just move them?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:10 PM

are you the best tournament player in the mtt forum (define that however you will)?

I had this conversation with someone at the pca who thought you were too tight, but (at least from your posting, since I've played very little with you), I would pick you as the best tournament player on 2p2. Maybe it's just cause of the extreme confidence you give off in all of your strategy posts, I dunno. Who's better than you, and why? And are you too tight?

also, nice to meet you at the pca. I like your style.