Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: What\'s wrong with my cat?

[ QUOTE ]
Dogs are good pets for sure but there are also downsides - for instance you can go away for the weekend and just give your cat enough food and water, but with a dog you pretty much have to take it with you or else board it somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Main reason I got a cat. Also, my cat is extremely playful and really dog-like. He loves to fight really hard to the point of me bleeding, can literally jump 6', is extremely affectionate when not beating the [censored] out of me and all around is one of the coolest cats any of my friends have ever seen. Granted, I got really lucky w/ this crazy awesome cat, but to group all cats together and say all cats are worthless so you should get a dog is ridiculous.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:02 PM

It sounds like she is in heat to me too. Is it possible the "fixing" was botched? I would get her checked by a vet just in case. Aside from that there are lots of great suggestions on this thread.

Some people like cats better and some like dogs, if you treat your pets well it doesn't really matter which you preffer.

To the guy who says cats are worthless, well, I hope you don't decide to discard your dog (or kids!) after 10 years. Sure sounds like you love your puppy now though, I hope he makes it or you find him a good home once he's "outgrown" his cuteness.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have both cats and dogs, and they are all affectionate.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that dogs are affectionate because they like you and cats are affectionate because they think you will give them something if they pretend to be affectionate. Cats are opportunists. People who think they are affectionate are marks.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have both cats and dogs, and they are all affectionate.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that dogs are affectionate because they like you and cats are affectionate because they think you will give them something if they pretend to be affectionate. Cats are opportunists. People who think they are affectionate are marks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dogs like EVERYONE, not just you. I mean, I love dogs too, but my cats are much more discriminating in their affection. Yes, you can make the argument that this is because I feed them, but you could probably make the same argument about my daughter as well.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think it's kind of nice for them to have each other when we're not in the house, but I think the only way you can know they'll be friends is if they're siblings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Siblings are definitely easier to socialize with each other, but other cats will get along, too, given time. Two examples: I had a cat for a couple years before my parents got one. I brought the cat home for a summer, and within two days they were best friends, running around and fighting with each other all day. Every summer I'd bring Chewy home, and they'd fall right back into the same groove. When I graduated college, I moved into an apartment that didn't allow pets, so I left Chewy with my parents for the year (they lived closeby). When I finally moved into an apartment that allowed pets, the two cats were so close, it seemed wrong to separate them...

So onto my next and current cat, Ming the Merciless. I took him out of the shelter straight into an apartment with my gf's surly cat. My gf's cat hissed at Ming for a while, and became so uncomfortable that he started pissing all over the place. After a few weeks he tolerated Ming. A few more and they were playing. Now, 1 1/2 years later, they get along great.

It's definitely possible to make cats get along. I've heard that male/male or male/female works best, and to avoid female/female at all costs. Both of these examples were male/male.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:27 PM

It's highly unlikely it is in heat unless it wasn't fixed correctly.

Belok, you are pretty wrong every time you posted in this thread. We are sorry that cats don't like you though. Apparently they are a good judge of character.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's highly unlikely it is in heat unless it wasn't fixed correctly.

Belok, you are pretty wrong every time you posted in this thread. We are sorry that cats don't like you though. Apparently they are a good judge of character.

[/ QUOTE ]
To take any universal statement made on a message board literally is a bit extreme... It was obviously just my opinion.

Maybe his cat isn't in heat, I could be wrong about that - but I'm just saying after all of my cat experience, when they meow excessively for no reason, spade or not, they want a tom cat. Sure maybe his case is different.

Judge of character? I just expressed my opinion of dogs over cats. I take good care of all of my animals. Even my cats. And sure I liked them while they were around (and they liked me). But I don't miss a single one of them.

Sorry to offend all you cat-lovers out there.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To the guy who says cats are worthless, well, I hope you don't decide to discard your dog (or kids!) after 10 years. Sure sounds like you love your puppy now though, I hope he makes it or you find him a good home once he's "outgrown" his cuteness.

[/ QUOTE ]
I plan on discarding my kids once they reach 13 and start thinking they're smarter than me.
Anybody know of a good kennel?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:10 PM

If you are going to introduce another cat, it is always better to get a cat of the opposite sex who is younger, preferably not a full grown cat. That way the cat who lives there now will be dominant at first, and won't feel displaced. You should introduce them slowly, over a week or so. Put the new cat in just one room, and just let them sniff each other. Then let them in the same room for very short periods, increasing in duration and frequency. In a week they should be fine. I think that advice on the meowing cat is bad. You should only spray water or yell at your cat when you really have to, not all the time. Current cat training has you spray right next to the cat, not on the cat, and stresses the importance of the cat not associating you with the water. Unless you are talking to this cat, or stop what you are doing to reward the meowing behavior, the cat is just bored. Ignore the cat, play with her more otherwise, get her a cat tree, highly vet recommended, esp. for active cats in smaller indoor enviroments. This may work, and then you won't have to get the second cat, although I think it would be nice, she seems lonely.

Any type of attention or response to a cat's meowing or talking, is a reward for the cat. Scolding, yelling, or shushing can equal reward times three. The best way to discourage the behaviour is to give no reaction when it meows and EXTRA attention and reaction when it's quiet.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:30 PM