Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 01:11 AM

Default 5/10 J2o in BB

4 or 5 rotations at the table.

SB is an aggro TAG who has been taking down a lot of pots. CO is a less aggro TAG than SB.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

River: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>
Old 06-02-2006, 01:20 AM

Default Re: 5/10 J2o in BB

I would have played it the same. Waiting til river is better than raising turn.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:13 AM

Raise the Turn - I don't think slow playing here is a good idea
Old 06-02-2006, 08:53 AM

I would have just raised the turn instead of getting fancy. This is good because SB might be firing out with a draw (6, hearts) trying to pick up the pot. Also, there is a good chance he will check to you on the river if he doesn't have the 2.

Haupt_234
Old 06-02-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have just raised the turn instead of getting fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't trying to be fancy - was trying to not knock out the CO (unfortunately he folded) since I'm really not worried about losing the hand.

[ QUOTE ]

This is good because SB might be firing out with a draw (6, hearts) trying to pick up the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that SB is a TAG, what range of hands do you put him on that (1) compeltes the SB PF and (2) bets the turn after an A high flop?

[ QUOTE ]

Also, there is a good chance he will check to you on the river if he doesn't have the 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't see why he'd check the river given the range of hands he's likely to have. Why would he ever fear a 2?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the Turn - I don't think slow playing here is a good idea

[/ QUOTE ]

Any reason why?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that SB is a TAG, what range of hands do you put him on that (1) compeltes the SB PF and (2) bets the turn after an A high flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's tough to put him on a hand that he completed from the SB because even though he's TAG, everyone plays the blinds differently.

As for me, I would be firing out with any 2 hearts, any straight draw, or I guess a monster if I decided to slowplay. These should all be reasons to raise me on the turn.

Haupt_234
Old 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM

First, your little motion picture is very disturbing.

I like how you played this. There are a lot of hands that the small blind will bet, but might fold if you raise on the turn, and you get one more bet out of him, plus the possible overcall on the turn.

What's your plan if he reraises the river?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's tough to put him on a hand that he completed from the SB because even though he's TAG, everyone plays the blinds differently.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're putting his range at any 2 cards? He's tight PF, it's more of a narrow range than that. When he checks the flop and bets the turn, this should be even more of an indication of what he's holding.

[ QUOTE ]

As for me, I would be firing out with any 2 hearts, any straight draw, or I guess a monster if I decided to slowplay. These should all be reasons to raise me on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the turn there are 1.5 BB in the pot. This means that betting the turn when you are 4 to the flush is not correct. Same for any straight draw.

We have a very deceptive/strong hand here. Worrying about being drawn out should be less of a concern than getting more money in the pot from as many opponents as possible. Raising the turn almost guarantees we lose the CO and could scare off the SB too.

The read I made on him when he bet the turn was that the turn did not actually help him, rather he had a piece of the flop, but was being cautious about it. I thought he might have a weak A or perhaps middle pair ...
Old 06-02-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're putting his range at any 2 cards? He's tight PF, it's more of a narrow range than that. When he checks the flop and bets the turn, this should be even more of an indication of what he's holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a fairly tight player might complete with any two suited cards in a threeway pot. I do it as a reflex.

On the turn there are 1.5 BB in the pot. This means that betting the turn when you are 4 to the flush is not correct. Same for any straight draw.

He is betting into a pot where there was no action on the flop. Anydraw, plus the folding equity probably makes for a reasonable bet on the turn.

We have a very deceptive/strong hand here. Worrying about being drawn out should be less of a concern than getting more money in the pot from as many opponents as possible. Raising the turn almost guarantees we lose the CO and could scare off the SB too.

The read I made on him when he bet the turn was that the turn did not actually help him, rather he had a piece of the flop, but was being cautious about it. I thought he might have a weak A or perhaps middle pair ...

I agree with this, although the possibility of 67suited, or maybe not, makes me a little nervous. Im not going to cap a threebet.